• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

India 1933/2 Half Rupee - Over date??

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I recently acquired this 1933 half rupee, this was part of the Fore sale in 2012-2013 and sold as 1933/2 Overdate. 

Could you please help me validate what the last digit seems to me.

Is it:

1. Actual overdate 3/2

2. Die re-engraved

3. Die ghosting due to double strike etc.

https://www.pcgseurope.com/Cert/84907970

84907970_Large.jpg

It depends on how they do the dating of their dies.  If they use individual digit punches then yes.  If they have the first two or three digits hubbed into the die but punch the last one or two then yes.  If they use a four digit logotype punch to enter the dates then it is possible but usually there will be traces on the other digits.  I don't know what system they used, and examination of other coins of the same date but from different dies would be needed to determine the method.  The fact that the digits on this coin are not all on the same line and the spacing between them seems a little uneven would make me suspect individual punches, but I don't have enough knowledge of this series to be able to say for sure.