• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Increased bids on NGC coins

10 posts in this topic

Heritage is 'a' market, not 'the' market. Unfortunately for the uninformed these auction houses often times are dumping grounds for low end and over graded coins that should somehow be removed from the market and regraded.

1 hour ago, numisport said:

Heritage is 'a' market, not 'the' market. Unfortunately for the uninformed these auction houses often times are dumping grounds for low end and over graded coins that should somehow be removed from the market and regarded.

well, they ARE the Highest Grossing Coin Auction house, and their Gold BUY sheet is legend, so... maybe not your Markets but they do have the main "say", let's say. That's a very cynical outlook you have; if you know how to Play The Game, you will make a nice living doing so

1 hour ago, kidrootbeer said:

well, they ARE the Highest Grossing Coin Auction house, and their Gold BUY sheet is legend, so... maybe not your Markets but they do have the main "say", let's say. That's a very cynical outlook you have; if you know how to Play The Game, you will make a nice living doing so

You might even say my outlook is bigoted because I own some coins that came through Heritage. That being said, after tracking many coins that sold for cheap money that I wouldn't touch at any price I feel that the low end stuff is dragging the market down. These coins just continue to be bought and sold time after time it seems. How does the market rid itself of low end material without regrade or TPG review ?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, numisport said:

Heritage is 'a' market, not 'the' market. Unfortunately for the uninformed these auction houses often times are dumping grounds for low end and over graded coins that should somehow be removed from the market and regarded.

Heritage auctions get both the gems and the junk. The collector has to sift through it. I have gotten some very nice coins in Heritage Auctions, and I’ve seen some disappointing pieces for the grade assigned when I have run through their auction boxes. The same can be said for the dealers’ boxes.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, numisport said:

You might even say my outlook is bigoted because I own some coins that came through Heritage. That being said, after tracking many coins that sold for cheap money that I wouldn't touch at any price I feel that the low end stuff is dragging the market down. These coins just continue to be bought and sold time after time it seems. How does the market rid itself of low end material without regrade or TPG review ?

Exactly what "market" is being referred to? Perhaps there is more than just one...

I can only refer to the market I'm interested in which is early modern U.S. proofs. Because so many of these are scarce or rare, and most have been graded already they can now be judged fairly. I could mention many examples that are in deep or ultra grades that are spotted or otherwise unattractive that sell for big money. Then I look at my superb knockout heavy cameos that have shockingly low values because they are not registry material. These are the ones that seldom surface at auction because lets face it they are worthy of higher prices.

On 9/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, Nutmeg Coin said:

My guess is it has something to do with the business relationship between NGC and Heritage.  My understanding is that either NGC owns Heritage or vice versa.