• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battlefield Coin Show

3 posts in this topic

I stopped off at the Battlefield coin show today, first time, and was pleasantly pleased. The show attendance was light and the dealers said it was slow. I didn't find anything to buy, but met a couple nice dealers from out of state. Possible business down the road. I did have a nice time. For a smaller show - I will visit again.

Did we meet?  I was at the entrance and  I'm curious to know what time you arrived at the show.

The show was busy both days and everything to include inexpensive foreign coins (3/$1) were selling.  Collectors for high end key dates were out in force.   Friday the show slowed around 3pm, but the last buyers did not leave until 6:30pm.  Being at the front door, I greeted the public first, answered questions as to who was selling specific coins, who was purchasing specific items and gave several appraisals.  I walked the floor and talked to many collectors who showed me their purchases and thanked me for putting on the show. 

Of the dealers who were there, one told me he did "so-so."  Being honest, I was surprised he did "so-so" with his attitude and sour disposition.  If a dealer is not congenial and a people person, they will not do well. Lester White had a great show and wants to continue for another ten years.  If you know Les, he is 82 years young and going strong.  Another dealer told me he did not have a good show, he had a GREAT show!  96.8% of the dealers will be returning ,and unfortunately, 2 dealers will not be invited back.

One dealer, and board member ats, sold everything in his show cases at once.  I saw his sign wanting to sell everything and didn't think he could sell everything.  Once he started taking the boxes out on a dolly, I understood he had  actually sold everything.

Alan, Bill and I invite you to next year's National Battlefield Coin Show in Gettysburg.  It will be held September 14-15, 2018.  If you call the Eisenhower Hotel and tell them you would like the Coin Show room rate, the discounted price is $77 per night.

This is from Reeded Edge's website:
September 18, 2017- Several years ago, we made the decision to cut back our coin show schedule. At the peak, we were attending about 35+ shows per year, many of them smaller club and regional venues. We began to notice a trend with these shows, as many lost relevance and/or died off. Some of this was collectors moving towards online business, some of it was poor show management, but much of it was a general lack of dealer support. That is why it was such a pleasure to see a small, upstart coin show like Gettysburg succeed. From the first day that Mike Dixon approached us with the idea of a Gettysburg, PA coin show five years ago, we were 100% onboard. We liked the idea, the location, and most of all, Mike's diehard commitment to making this show successful. Well, we are pleased to say that once again, Gettysburg was a resounding success. Both Friday and Saturday saw the bourse floor filled with collectors, most of whom were there to do business. Thursday (the official dealer set-up day), attracted a nice mix of non-tabled, coin dealers, from the vest pocket variety to large national firms. In a day and age when smaller shows seem to be dying off, it's nice to see one that is so healthy. Both Rob and Robbie were set up for the entire duration, and their booth served as an epicenter for activity. Coins were being bought and sold non-stop, evidenced by the many new purchases throughout The Reeded Edge store this week. The guys were really happy with the pace of the show, and are hoping that this week's VNA show is equally as good.

I was there on Saturday - we did not meet.  I showed up around noon.  I had nice conversations with four dealers. I really liked a couple of them. I thought it was a good show.  Maybe I just hit a lull. In any event - I did not have to wait to look at coins and went through a good number of them. Unfortunately, I had them and couldn't use them.  

I am planning on attending your next show.