• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollar 1921 and Peace Dollar 1923

3 posts in this topic

I think they both look to be lower end uncirculated - the Morgan is probably at 64, the Peace probably 62 (the marks on her neck really hurt the grade). 

However, the green spots on the Peace need to be addressed. Both coins look a bit hazy, so if they were stored together they are both probably affected by PVC. The green spots don't look severe yet, but if left on the coin they can cause corrosion. You need to clean them with acetone. Only use pure acetone, do not use anything else. Be very gentle and careful with them. See my article here for a step by step tutorial: 

If I were to try to figure the grade of your 1921 Morgan, I would say NGC will say UNC Details - Improperly cleaned. If it were to receive a numerical grade I would say it is a 62 at best. There is quite a bit of contact marks visible to the naked eye, as well as some detail missing in the curls of hair on the obverse and leaves of the wreath on the reverse that is not due to a weak strike. Your 1923 Peace dollar I would say NGC would say UNC Details - Improperly cleaned. As for the Peace if it were to receive a numerical grade, I would say it is a 60 at best. There is a lot of detail missing in the hair on the obverse and also in the lower feathers and claws on the reverse, as well as the eagle's neck.