• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help - 1854 Arrows Seated Liberty Half Dollar

10 posts in this topic

Hi! It is my first time here, if anyone can help I would be very grateful.

I recently acquired a Half Dollar of 1854 with arrows and want to know some opinions of You about its authenticity. It has the correct size (30,6 mm) and weight (12,34 g, only 0,1 g under the oficial weight - 12,44 g), and it is non magnetic. I bought it like Genuine, don´t doubt of the intention of the seller, but whereas there are many fakes of this one, is that mine really Genuine? If yes, what is the grade? 

Thanks for the hepling!

Diego.

59a0f2c982606.jpg

59a0f2cc585a8.jpg

Welcome to the forums! 

I don't see anything immediately suspicious about this coin. Keep in mind, I'm only evaluating from these pictures - in hand, or with different pictures, we might see something different. The details look sharp, I don't see signs of casting, and it appears to be genuine.

As for grade, it does not appear to have been cleaned or damaged from these pictures. I'd call it a VF-25 (doesn't quite have enough to make 30, I think). I'd put its retail value somewhere around $75-$85. 

Looks like a pretty nice coin to me. 

I don't see anything that would make me question authenticity, and the weight is just barely within low end of the legal tolerance for a new coin, and this one has seen some circulation, so the weight is definitely OK.

As I wrote before I think that the coin is genuine, but it's good that you have your guard up with respect to counterfeits. Unfortunately the Chinese have flooding the market with their junk, and if you are not careful, it's easy to get caught with some of it. As the former editor of "Coin World," Beth Disher, showed us years ago the Chinese are willing to make anything for price, even modern U.S. coins that have no numismatic value.

41 minutes ago, BillJones said:

As I wrote before I think that the coin is genuine, but it's good that you have your guard up with respect to counterfeits. Unfortunately the Chinese have flooding the market with their junk, and if you are not careful, it's easy to get caught with some of it. As the former editor of "Coin World," Beth Disher, showed us years ago the Chinese are willing to make anything for price, even modern U.S. coins that have no numismatic value.

yeah... but they haven't yet mastered US Mint Milling...

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Maybe so, but most people would have to be very familiar with the particular issue to be able to tell the difference in the milling.

since all Milling apparatus emanates from the Philadelphia Mint, the form is pretty static for most silver issues. Familiarize yourself with the form, and Chinese Fakes will be that more apparent when seen

15 hours ago, kidrootbeer said:

since all Milling apparatus emanates from the Philadelphia Mint, the form is pretty static for most silver issues.

It didn't, the branch mints often made their own collars and even in Philadelphia the reeding would sometimes vary from year to year, sometime even during  the same year.  Especially on the older coins.  For example the rare 1871 to 74 Carson City dimes  can be identified by the distinctive edge reeding that was not used at any of the other mints in those years.