• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's September 2017 LONG BEACH SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!

4 posts in this topic

Let me start out by saying that this will be one of my more briefer reports with less pictures than usual. The reason is a good one. I was SO busy that I didn't have a lot of time to take photos around the bourse floor. I've never had as busy a show as this one, but of course, I am not complaining - I am extremely delighted!

As I've said in past reports, the Long Beach show is one of my very favorite shows as it's so close to home that I can sleep in my own bed each night. Plus, the area around the convention center is really beautiful with lots to do for everyone. And the weather during the week was absolutely gorgeous, if not a little on the warm side.

x000cy2fz00a.jpg

Taryn and the rest of the Expos Unlimited folks really work hard to put the Long Beach show together, making sure the dealers have what we need, walking around checking on us, etc. Even the loading dock issues we've had in the past were addressed and went much more smoothly and quickly this time.

This is beautiful, sweet, hardworking Taryn!

v4aw10mk5ntd.jpg

This is a photo I borrowed from the Long Beach Expos folks of the "naked" bourse floor before everyone filled it up.

2x63yp73a2jm.jpg

This is the driveway to the loading dock.

h93sm9n7zjjo.jpg

The walkway bridge they are building for the Long Beach Grand Prix along the loading dock street is almost complete so the street wasn't blocked by all the construction vehicles as it was before. Also, it was great to have the parking garage right behind the loading ramp finally reopened.

31cfy4dq6fdo.jpg

7q06he52cn8v.jpg

I know several dealers I talked to said it was slow for them, that they didn't have very decent sales. However, other dealers I spoke with said they were able to make a lot of new purchases and the show ended up being very good for them.

For me, even though I had a lot of sales in general, there was one wonderful customer, Victor, who allowed me to help him put his Lincoln registry set together. He had been buying Lincoln cents from me over the past year or so but then about a month before the Long Beach show he contacted me and asked if I would try and find the rest of the Lincoln cents he needed to complete his registry set so he could pick them up at the show. So I went to work contacting all my dealer friends, putting out feelers, searching auctions, etc. Then throughout the show, I again hunted for more coins to fill his set. I was thrilled when Victor ended up buying every one of the coins I had picked out for him. I can't tell you how much fun I had doing this for such a nice, kind, easy-to-work with (and grateful) customer. Aside from some possible upgrades, he only needs about 5 coins to have a top 10 Lincoln registry set! To top it off, when Victor first came to my table at the show, he brought me a great bottle of wine AND a box of candy!!

cvi9wptcnze3.jpg

w5nas07ajytf.jpg

abh3lzututpf.jpg

So needless to say, set up day on Wednesday was very busy for me and just flew by. At 7pm when it was time to leave, I really looked forward to having a relaxing dinner and wine tasting with my usual group at Cafe Piccolos - Karl and Joanne Stephens, Rick, and George. I had my usual very tasty goatcheese chicken dinner.

jgmf8x9jd7z2.jpg

o9yjwsmepyn5.jpg

qus8b4jzn10k.jpg

ssgulfd9iabk.jpg

xxaab2guzidp.jpg

3zc0kqznx72x.jpg

s9lmu9e3imnf.jpg

Thursday morning when I arrived at the show, I again searched around the bourse floor for more Lincoln cents and managed to find a couple more, as well as some coins for my inventory. I found this very fascinating and scarce 1942 plastic cent at one of the dealer's tables and just had to take a picture. Interestingly, it also had rotated dies.

jklqvknenmll.jpg

d1hy8emrlkgz.jpg

3ob4gik0evlp.jpg

A fellow forum member Chris stopped by with another little gift for me - this time it was a really unusual Lincoln medal

08ftpdjkryz1.jpg

8m5xs46c9lnu.jpg

My friend Dennis Hengeveld also stopped by for a brief chat.

semg720je7h5.jpg

Thursday was another very busy day with lots of public in attendance. Although it had thinned out somewhat as usual in the afternoon, I finally took a couple quick photos of the bourse floor taken from my table.

wcyevi1oveag.jpg

The Millers of Millers Mint have had a table across from me for as long as I've had this table in Long Beach

9o5of33k3dau.jpg

These adorable little kiddos were so excited to be hunting for coins!

c6ntzmix24jf.jpg

A gentleman stopped by my table and showed me these original bank half rolls of 1940 and 1942 Lincoln cents that he acquired in an estate sale. The end pieces are gem and the paper is yellowed and very old.

4a4qi03e1zzt.jpg

8m8t1peycm4t.jpg

We actually had some wine leftover from our wine dinner at Cafe Piccolo's so we were able to enjoy the good wine we had from the night before, and once I opened it, it sure went fast!

Then it was time for rib night at Naple's Ribs! I am definitely a creature of habit since I tend to order the same thing at the same restaurants I go to. Also, I always order a combo platter to make sure I have plenty leftover to take home to my hubby (he makes me promise to bring him some ribs whenever I go to Naple's Ribs!)

srnfqe1mcujw.jpg

7ygc8lh17huz.jpg

fsw58vzcro4f.jpg

gncjltyb9wq2.jpg

ftmgvsvz2x8m.jpg

Friday morning I did my usual search for more Lincolns (in case any of the dealers I had visited previously may have acquired something new or got some Lincolns back from their submissions) and picked up a few more pieces. I also found more for my inventory. Here are my newps from the show!

xctdt0hrkq24.jpg

Included is this really nice original brown 1877 in PCGS MS64.

zic2w33daxgg.jpg

I also found this beautiful finest known S-10 1897 PCGS MS65 RB with a very bold repunched 7 (repunched to the right)

ael79sdxatst.jpg

I also bought this gorgeous 1864-L that was graded MS66 BN for my personal collection, and I have no clue why it wasn't graded red brown so I plan to resubmit it. It is a stunning piece with tons of luster, and I love it!

3ktg7gum4hba.jpg

ubna79as62wb.jpg

At one point during the afternoon when I was talking to another dealer, my buddy Matt stopped by and the dealer commented on how we had dressed alike that day. I hadn't noticed at first, but then it made me chuckle when I looked at our picture together!

0h9opy07d6xo.jpg

That night we went to dinner at King's Fish House just up the street from the convention center. They have the best macadamia nut crusted halibut I have ever had! It's definitely on the pricey side, but well worth it (sorry, I forgot to take a picture of it, it would have had you all drooling!).

uxhf77sqypci.jpg

bpbuppcccyrd.jpg

h1ofpm7mtfyx.jpg

This is a good picture of my booth buddy Rich and Rick taken at dinner

t0k8v4bow41i.jpg

We had some great wines with our dinner!

dc55vetcidj5.jpg

Saturday turned out to be another busy day for me. Victor came by to pick up the last of the Lincoln cents I had found for him. He also decided to buy some of the toned brown Indian cents I had since he thought his wife would especially like the pretty colors (he later emailed me to say she loved them!). I also had a couple other large sales that day which really surprised me since usually sales on Saturdays are pretty slow.

So all in all, I am thrilled to say that this was the best show sales-wise I ever had! It really feels good to have such a successful show, especially considering that last year was one of my slowest years. Now the fun part is that I need to replenish my inventory!

I just have to post this photo of my little grandson Ryder. Whenever I am working with my coins, he loves to pick one up and "check it out" by doing what most babies doe, putting it in his mouth. I do hope when he gets older that he will develop a real interest in actually collecting pennies, and not just to taste!

isgzabsxnb5z.jpg

And while I was getting ready for the show, sorting and organizing some raw coins, Penny decided the coins made a nice resting place!

bt5ngpidpg82.jpg

Next up: The Santa Clara Show this week, the PCGS Members Only Show the end of the month, then the Buena Park show the first week in October!

Charmy, it's interesting that business is picking up.  I think it has to do with the Bull Stock Market.

People want to invest in things that have interest to them, rather than just a larger number on their total worth brokerage statement.

Now if we'd all just see our collections go up in value for a change, that'd be great.

Thank you for the report.  You always have a good time, busy or not.