• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dear NGC - Irma..........

10 posts in this topic

Dear NGC, this may be the wrong board to post this on so I apologize if it is.  But I have 11 coins (actually rare Conder tokens) with you right now for grading.  With Irma coming in  to hit Florida, I, and probably many others would like to know what your procedures are to insure these rare coins will not be destroyed in the hurricane?  I am particularly concerned about flooding given your proximity to the Gulf.  Please let us know.

Thanks, SH

Employees need not worry about your coins.  Please evacuate to safety and protect your lives and the lives of your loved ones.  Secure freshwater.  Irma has destroyed 90% of all freestanding buildings in it's path.  All the coins are insured and can be replaced, but people can not.  NGC evacuate all employees NOW please!

IMG_0361.PNG

Ah.... No...... Please read my post again.  These are not common bullion like you post above, these are rare, nearly unique Conder tokens and not replaceable.  If they are damaged or destroyed, they are lost to numistmatics forever.  So I was not asking  you, I was asking NGC what they do in such a situation to insure that the rare numismatic items that we have entrusted to their care, will be safe.  This is a topic independent of any human evacuation. 

I think the numismatists such as myself that have committed to keeping their company going by submitting lots of rare coins over the years deserve an explanation of what protective measures they are taking.  So NGC???

Best, SH

I'm sure their security and disaster situation preparedness are as good as any other company.  Since there have been other hurricanes that have hit since they have been in FL, they are well prepared.  

Assuming the sincerity of your concern, I am sure that NGC has in place business (and client) loss protection measures. There is a separate ask NGC link, and I assume that you have contacted/emailed/texted your question.

It is not an unreasonable question...you are human and we all worry about our own property. I would also assume you have taken all measures to protect your interests via insurance on your property, including coins. Have you read the NGC grading/contract/submissions forms?

Your post is not of a nature that would generally gain sympathy, given the impending destruction from this storm and the harm to people, and it may not have been the best time/location to post the question, but it certainly is reasonable. I would not worry to the exclusion of all other concerns, though. Things will work out.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

All coins will be in a secure and massive vault. There is absolutely no reason for concern.

1 hour ago, Nutmeg Coin said:

I'm sure their security and disaster situation preparedness are as good as any other company.  Since there have been other hurricanes that have hit since they have been in FL, they are well prepared.  

Agreed. NGC headquarters In Sarasota structure [s above storm surges and  and can withstand high winds.  The best forecaster's  predict Irma's trajectory  will strike East Florida. Most important is people evacuate if possible. Knowing how to use live radar can be a life saver.  You can zoom in on any area. 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/northeast-region/satellite-interactive

Any coins at NGC are not worth lives no matter what you THINK they are worth. I am sure that NGC will get the submissions completed after they return from any evacuation.(thumbsu

Good luck Florida and God Bless!!

On 9/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, DWLange said:

All coins will be in a secure and massive vault. There is absolutely no reason for concern.

Unless they are in transit with the USPS...THAT I would worry about as I doubt the USPS has the same quality facilities.

Seriously though, if I had coins there (almost mailed a submission about a week and a half ago but got distracted) I'd be concerned, but comfortable that the preparations were in place to keep things safe.  Normal to be a bit concerned but in the end, not worth dwelling on so much though I get why the OP was asking.

In the end though, coins are just things and I'd give 'em all up to make sure the people/pets are safe.  I truly hope that all the living have been attended to and their safety arranged.  With the amount of destructive force headed your way I for one will not be worried about the coins/registry/etc getting back online for several weeks.  It's a bit late for the online wishes but hopefully everyone got out or got to a safe place!  With plenty of water, food, batteries, dog kibble, toilet paper, and booze to hang tough.

Very glad to hear the NGC offices escaped unscathed. The storm seems to not have been as bad for much of Florida as they were initially calling for (the southern tip got wrecked, but honestly it could have been worse). I know that the initial predictions were quite dire.

I hope everyone escaped without too much damage. 

Here in Charleston, we've got some flooding, some power outages, but we are pretty much okay.