• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Submissions

13 posts in this topic

I just bought 2 raw coins and sent them to NGC for grading one is an 1858 Flying Eagle cent small letter variety it cam back as MS63. Now as far as I understand the small letters really don't have an impact on the value of the coin but in this case I spent $650.00 on this coin and could feasibly sell for $1200.00 but of course it wouldn't at auction but I think I made a good acquisition on that one. The other is an 1835 1/2 cent and it came back with AU Details Rim Filling now I have absolutely no idea what that means. I have heard it is because the coin has been cleaned or other physical damage I could not tell a problem but hear it is so what does it mean and what does it make this coin worth? I will post pictures after they get back from NGC later this week. In the meantime I would like to know your thoughts.

Rim filing means exactly what it says, someone has used a file on the rims.  This was usually done to remove a rim ding, or back in the 19th century it was not unusual if a coin had rim finning for a collector to take a file to the coin to remove the fin.  Sometimes they would also use the to remove small cuds.

It's difficult to say exactly how that will affect the value. It would have different values to different people.

It is conceivable that the value could be as much as half of what an undamaged AU would be.

Agree, you are ahead of the game on the Flying eagle, a great type coin.  On the other I'm not sure how much you are losing, and sometimes I wonder if the grading services look seriously at all the rims.

On 8/28/2017 at 3:49 AM, Robert1963 said:

I just bought 2 raw coins and sent them to NGC for grading one is an 1858 Flying Eagle cent small letter variety it cam back as MS63. Now as far as I understand the small letters really don't have an impact on the value of the coin but in this case I spent $650.00 on this coin and could feasibly sell for $1200.00 but of course it wouldn't at auction but I think I made a good acquisition on that one. The other is an 1835 1/2 cent and it came back with AU Details Rim Filling now I have absolutely no idea what that means. I have heard it is because the coin has been cleaned or other physical damage I could not tell a problem but hear it is so what does it mean and what does it make this coin worth? I will post pictures after they get back from NGC later this week. In the meantime I would like to know your thoughts.

If it says "Rim Filling," then some sort of metallic putty was used to fill in a hole. If it says "Rim Filing," then the rim was shaved to remove copper, as has been said.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:38 AM, Robert1963 said:

Ok just like the other person said it is "RIM FILING". Do you think I should crack open the slab and sell it as raw or not?

Well, it would be better if you are being honest with buyer when you are going to sell it as a raw. 

Sometimes the guy/gal who submits the coin for grading is left holding the bag; owners before may have known of the issue and did not disclose it.  And there are many subtle or hard to see issues as well as subjective grading at times that can lead to problem grades.

On 9/2/2017 at 5:58 PM, A.Phillips said:

Well, it would be better if you are being honest with buyer when you are going to sell it as a raw. 

You know what? Your right and I should have had that thought in mind from the beginning. I wouldn't want someone to sell me the coin knowing it was like that. When I purchased it, it was from a trusted friend and I know he did not know. Thanks for keeping me honest. :grin:

Spoiler