• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1723 Hibernia 1/2 cent

24 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a 1723 Hibernia 1/2 cent,  However it has the type 1 reverse.  Harp on left.  
Coin weighs 110 gr & measures over 27 mm in diameter. Find this reverse only on the  farthing & and  the  1722 1/2 cent.   I cannot find coin listed after hours of research on line.  Any help  appreciated.  Jim...

Don't know how to attach photos on this site. Be glad to if I can get some guidance.  It's a standard Hibernia 1723 1/2 cent with the reverse of the 1722.  Pictures of both are readily available on any of the Colonial Coin sites.  Regards Jim...

Don't be discouraged JC, this place is a ghost town as of late. To attach a picture you can drag and drop into the text box or just click the "choose files" link bottom of box and then choose the picture you want to upload.  Good luck.

That's quite interesting coin. But the color on both sides are different which it lead me to suspecting of something. Also I did looked closer at that date "1723" and it doesn't looking right neither because 1) I usually see the thick "bubble" on the tail of "7" on many half pennies, but it doesn't show that much on this one. 2) The "2" looking like filled on its tail instead of separate line. I am not 100% sure, but I did copied your pictures and sent to one guy, who have more knowledge with Hibernia coins, on an email. I will let you know by then.

Thanks A.Phillips for your input.  The color on both sides of the actual coin is the same.  I took the two separate photos at night, using the flash on my camera, then ran them through photoshop to 1. sharpen the focus, 2. let the program adjust the contrast, & 3.  size the photo for intended use.  As to the  tail on the "7"and "2", they is what they is.   I'll  be interested in your friends comments.  Thanks again.  Jim...

19 hours ago, j cantwell said:

Thanks A.Phillips for your input.  The color on both sides of the actual coin is the same.  I took the two separate photos at night, using the flash on my camera, then ran them through photoshop to 1. sharpen the focus, 2. let the program adjust the contrast, & 3.  size the photo for intended use.  As to the  tail on the "7"and "2", they is what they is.   I'll  be interested in your friends comments.  Thanks again.  Jim...

I got an email from James today, he said:

Hi Alan,

It looks like a contemporary forgery due to the evidence of wear.
- I have not seen a Type I Woods Halfpenny dated 1723 - only 1722.
- it is too early (and too good a copy) to be a evasion halfpenny

Its not a particularly valuable or rare coin, so it is "unlikely" that it is a modern forgery designed to deceive collectors.

However, if it "IS GENUINE" you've got a great find.
- have you shown it to anyone at DNW ?
- their email is auctions@dnw.co.uk

This is a link to my article on the Woods' patent halfpennies and farthings, if that helps.
https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2015/03/05/william-woods-irish-coinage-1722-1724-for-george-i/

Best regards,

James

Perhaps you can try to contact with someone at DNW (Dix Noonan Webb)?

Alan,  Thanks for your help.  I'll take James's advice and contact dnw for their input.  Will also probably send to NGC or PCGS for slabbing.  Quite a article he wrote on the Wood's tokens..  Very impressive.  By the way I live right up the coast from  you in Bradenton.  Regards, Jim...

On 8/31/2017 at 7:29 PM, jwc said:

I have a similar coin.  Reverse might be different.

1723_Woods_Hibernia_Halfpence_Martin_4_15_Gc_37a.jpg

One of my early photos back when I used to be into coin photography. 

Is that coin in a holder? If so what kind and what grade. 

wdrob.  Sorry for missing your question.  No it's raw as they say today.  My photos were sent to dnw, who have asked to see the coin.  Their thoughts, from the photos, was that is was probably not an evasion  nor a modern forgery, but perhaps a contemporary production.  I live on the west coast of FL, hurricane area, so have not posted the coin to them, as yet.  I will soon and will post their comments here.  Jim...

18 hours ago, wdrob said:

One of my early photos back when I used to be into coin photography. 

Is that coin in a holder? If so what kind and what grade. 

yes this is the coin I bought from you wdrob awhile back.  I did send it to NGC to grade and it came back as MS63

That is great to hear. It was in a MS61 holder at NGC at one point in time (I think it was that coin) but I never sent it in to get a second chance .... Better not let that thing out of that MS63 holder as I would not expect it to do much better than that. Great to have seen the coin again. 

Still a very nice example in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, wdrob said:

That is great to hear. It was in a MS61 holder at NGC at one point in time (I think it was that coin) but I never sent it in to get a second chance .... Better not let that thing out of that MS63 holder as I would not expect it to do much better than that. Great to have seen the coin again. 

Still a very nice example in my opinion. 

yes it is.  One of my oldest and nicest coins.