• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Halves- Type 2 Business Strikes

14 posts in this topic

Last week I purchased a nice uncirculated Franklin half dollar set which included the 1958, and 1959 Type 2.  The Type 2 varieties were struck from proof dies that were utilized for business strikes at the Philadelphia mint.  These aren't incredibly rare; but, from what I've read the 1958 Type 2 is a bit more scarce than the 1959.  Both examples have semi proof-like finishes.  

011.JPG.a827462d81fb8269e4f35f1de95f7e2a.JPG

009.JPG.d54ca25d5f0cf414968bfe063757289b.JPG002.JPG.60c864ce8fb1d0a55a5c705b8e586fec.JPG005.JPG.a9347794775c97cad8fc21ed8defa144.JPG   

Nice ones.

You'll also notice that the 1959 has linear features on the obverse.  This is a condition that occurs on some P mint silver coins minted in 1960, and to a lesser extent in 1959.  No one knows exactly why it occurs, but the best explanation I've heard so far is that it was most likely due to the rolling process of the silver sheets that were eventually stamped into planchets.

15 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Nice ones.

You'll also notice that the 1959 has linear features on the obverse.  This is a condition that occurs on some P mint silver coins minted in 1960, and to a lesser extent in 1959.  No one knows exactly why it occurs, but the best explanation I've heard so far is that it was most likely due to the rolling process of the silver sheets that were eventually stamped into planchets.

I originally thought that the linear lines were from residing in some sorta coin folder, or, book.  Thanks for bringing the cause of this to my attention- I'll pay closer attention to P mint 1960's in the future too.  Interesting.       

5 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Is there a clash on the reverse of the 59, or a die chip?

None that I could determine John- combination of lighting, and toning that produced the effect in pic.   Thanks.  

Neat pickup! Yes, the 1958 is scarcer than the 1959 - and the 58 with FBL is really tough. It is estimated that between 10-20% of 1958's are Type II, and I've seen estimates that as many as 30% of the 1959's may be Type II. 

Now, of course, you need to pick up the 1959 Type II over Type I DDR to finish the group. 

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Neat pickup! Yes, the 1958 is scarcer than the 1959 - and the 58 with FBL is really tough. It is estimated that between 10-20% of 1958's are Type II, and I've seen estimates that as many as 30% of the 1959's may be Type II. 

Now, of course, you need to pick up the 1959 Type II over Type I DDR to finish the group. 

Thanks Jason, appreciate the information too- I've read about the Type I over Type II but haven't searched for any of those yet; but, definitely on the want list.  Appears to be a Cherrypick that you'd almost have to view in hand to check for the doubling on E Pluribus  Unum and right wing tip; unless looking at very clear and defined photo's?  That would be my guess.      

I don't actually own one of the DDRs ( I know that @coinman1794 owns or has owned several). But the DDR is actually fairly obvious, even in lower quality pictures. This is one of the significant ones - it garners a premium because it is easily visible with the naked eye: http://varietyvista.com/11 Franklin Halves/DDR Detail Pages/1959PDDR001.htm

11 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I don't actually own one of the DDRs ( I know that @coinman1794 owns or has owned several). But the DDR is actually fairly obvious, even in lower quality pictures. This is one of the significant ones - it garners a premium because it is easily visible with the naked eye: http://varietyvista.com/11 Franklin Halves/DDR Detail Pages/1959PDDR001.htm

1959rR35b.jpg

1959rR35a.jpg

There is also a nice little extra line to the right of the center loop (at the top of the bell, where it would connect to a link) that's pretty easy to see.

I have three UNC examples which took me WAYYYYY too long to locate.  I need to get organized.  That's what happens when you move a few times in quick succession.

The 1959 Type B reverses have been the easiest to locate (in my experience) in UNC condition, for both the halves and the quarters (the 1957 is the easiest quarter to find.)  One time I was trying to put together a circulated Type B quarter set, and I COULD NOT find a circulated 1959 Type B quarter.  I had about 20 UNC...eventually I did locate one in AU that stuck out like a sore thumb from the others in the sets.

If you find any double mint sets, I've had pretty good luck finding Type B coins in them.  In my experience, if there's one (either the quarter or the half) then both will be Type B.  

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 8.52.33 PM.png

13 hours ago, stldanceartist said:

There is also a nice little extra line to the right of the center loop (at the top of the bell, where it would connect to a link) that's pretty easy to see.

I have three UNC examples which took me WAYYYYY too long to locate.  I need to get organized.  That's what happens when you move a few times in quick succession.

The 1959 Type B reverses have been the easiest to locate (in my experience) in UNC condition, for both the halves and the quarters (the 1957 is the easiest quarter to find.)  One time I was trying to put together a circulated Type B quarter set, and I COULD NOT find a circulated 1959 Type B quarter.  I had about 20 UNC...eventually I did locate one in AU that stuck out like a sore thumb from the others in the sets.

If you find any double mint sets, I've had pretty good luck finding Type B coins in them.  In my experience, if there's one (either the quarter or the half) then both will be Type B.  

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 8.52.33 PM.png

Very good informative replies on the 1959 DDR, and other reverse Type's.  Thank's all.  

I dug out my 1959 mint set to check the reverse on the quarter/half, and you are correct stldanceartist!  I forgot I had this set- bought 3 - 4 years ago.  The quarter is much nicer than the half...unfortunately, terminal toning on the half.  I checked my 1960 mint set, and I have a Type B quarter in that set as well.

Here are pics of the '59 Type B, and Type II

023.JPG.c1542b736a981b4d9fbdecb034b8ae3a.JPG

027.JPG.977d2c1f9876369947c2cc4548215ed6.JPG