• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1858 Double Eagle

13 posts in this topic

I've been working on putting together an 1858 business strike set since 2008. It's been a long, slow, enjoyable trip. There are 29 Types/MM in the set. Two of these 29 I'll never be able to afford. Given the WIDE range in prices for the assorted Types/MM I've decided to set a top price that I'm willing to pay across the board for all Type/MM. The downside of this is that the set as a whole bounces between Gem mint state coins down to lower VF coins. The upside is that I get the finest coin I can for each Type/MM. There are three Double Eagles in the set; O, P and S. The S is by far the most common. The O is one of the two coins that I will not be able to afford for the set. The P is a tougher Type 1 date/mm. Here's my P double eagle for the set. It's in a PCGS OGH XF45/CAC slab. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1858_45$20o3t.jpg

bc1858_45$20r4t.jpg

Nice example SkyMan, I'm thinking of putting together an 1898, and 1909 type set as those were the birth years of my Grandparents.  I'm curious; what is the significance for the year 1858?  Just random, or, does the year have greater meaning for you?  Cool DE- thanks for sharing!

53 minutes ago, PocketArt said:

Nice example SkyMan, I'm thinking of putting together an 1898, and 1909 type set as those were the birth years of my Grandparents.  I'm curious; what is the significance for the year 1858?  Just random, or, does the year have greater meaning for you?  Cool DE- thanks for sharing!

Thank you.  Good luck with your Grandparents birth year sets.  

I was born in 1958, so this is a "Pre"-Centennial.

I think I like the AU examples of most dates over MS 63 or 64 coins. Yours has great appeal with good strike and full detail. This makes a great type coin.

Circulated gold can often be dull and unattractive. I'm not usually a fan of it - but yours seems to have a good bit of luster left. I like it, and I know that these coins are tough! 

Skyman—What a nice example of a circulated Type One Double Eagle!  

I love the original surfaces without any major distracting marks.  Many twenties with this look were cleaned-up and now reside in AU holders.  

Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, Coagman said:

Many twenties with this look were cleaned-up and now reside in AU holders.  

here's  the thing with the 58P: historically, original skin examples XF45 are worth as much as AU58 'cleaned-up', and are much less often seen

yes, the Reverse is nice; but the obverse is a Treasure, just for the simple fact that someone, at sometime, would have q-tipped or otherwise have removed the surface from (at least) the cheek, as a usual practice to 'brighten' the piece

I was born in 1957 you youngster, and thought about doing an 1857set but was put off by the number of coins and the scarcities in that set.    I love your double eagle, it looks like it may be a repat. from Europe, has that "stored in a sack for a century" look to it.   Wonderful color!