• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error List

14 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to this forum.

I think what you may be searching for is a 'variety' list. An error can happen to any date or any denomination (a coin that was struck twice, or off-center, as an example), a variety is a specifically struck coin that is unusual in some fashion because the die was unusual. Things like the 1955 doubled die Lincoln cent, for example. I'm not aware of a listing of these things, but for starters, here are some Lincolns you could search for.

The aforementioned 1955....The 1972 doubled die is another fun one. There are perhaps as many as 9 varieties of this date.  THE 1944 D over S Lincoln. 

1960 P small date cent, 1970 S small date cent, the 1983 doubled die reverse cent, the 1984 double ear cent, and the 1995 doubled die Lincoln.

That's a good starting point. You would have to be quite lucky, but it's not impossible.

The CherryPicker's Guide is a good book, but I think what you are looking for is Alan Hebert's "Price Guide of Error Coins." This book describes how each type of error is created, why it looks the way it does, and how to identify it. That's the book you really need. 

A full list of all known errors and varieties would be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of lines long   Just the list of varieties would be thousands of lines.  As far as errors, best to know all the different types of errors and assume they can pretty much all be found on any coin.  And that list would run to dozens if not hundreds of lines.

If you truly believe thy will grade VERY high, MS-67 or better then maybe.  I believe anything less than that the cost of grading would exceed the value of the coin.  That is why many people say that unless the coin is worth $150 to $200 it isn't worth grading.  By the time you buy the coin and pay all the fees the value after slabbing doesn't exceed what you have in it.

11 hours ago, BALCKNIGHT said:

My small date 1960 & 1970 are proof, so you think they should be graded? 

If you can add the picture, we can help to see if it's worth to get it graded. 

Here is one of those fun types, theBeav was talking about that I have.  Plus a small list of finding different varieties. 

• Overton's Guide - Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836
  • Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties of United States Coins Vol I&II
  • Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins
  • VAM World.com
  • CONECA Variety Vista (varietyvista.com)
  • etc, etc...

dateDDO.jpg

libertyDDO.jpg

o.jpg

r.jpg