• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book Project

28 posts in this topic

That's a beautiful cover. It makes you want to pick it up and buy it ! 

With that coming out, will we finally see some action in that segment ? It certainly won't hurt. 

Good luck with that Lee !

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, numisport said:

Can't wait for it. Must have it soon. When will it be ready to print ?

I'm hoping with some help from the CSNS, about eight to ten months.

Peer review has been completed. Waiting on the CSNS results for the grant I applied for, results this month.

Mark%20Goodman%20alabama%20combo%20blk%2

I just got the news that I did not get a grant. 16 applicants for two grants.

Congrat's to David Gelwicks and Lawrence Korchnak!

^^

No book going to get done.  If I win the lottery, it will get done.

Starting my own website and blog.  Information will be posted there.

What is your ballpark range for this project?  A GoFundMe might be in order.  I'd contribute!  

Can we get a link to the website?  I started a 'vanity website' which I occasionally update...curious what site builders/hosts others use.

Sorry for the long delay. Holidays and all.

5K just for a copy editor to review. Then whatever book printing prices are.

:pullhair:

Check out print on demand.  Prices are very reasonable.  I tend to like lulu.com  I've seen a few of the books they've printed and I think they did a pretty good job.  You can do you own proof reading etc or they do have professional services available but i don't know what they charge for that.  The real expense will depend on whether you go with black and white of color images in the book.  I ran the figures for why I did on the first edition of the slabbook  (Which sold for $30, comb bound back in 2003) and I could do it in a hard bound and price it at $40 and make more than I did back then.  That is with the black and white images I used.  If I went for color then it would be $125.  That's for a 468 page  8/12 X 11 volume.

A copy editor is not really necessary - you'd get more benefit from someone here editing your book for you. That's a really steep price! 

I absolutely and highly recommend Print On Demand. Absolutely free to you besides a one-time set-up fee (very low price). 

I used Create-Space, which is the print-on-demand branch of Amazon (and you are automatically listed on Amazon). You have to publicize and advertise the book yourself, but your book is out there. 

5K for a copy editor?  No wonder some of those self pub Kindle books I've read (trashy fiction, don't judge) obviously haven't been professionally edited ;). 

Seriously though, I do like Physic Fan's idea a lot.  Amazon has opened up the possibility of self pub to many.  Pretty sure some folks would be happy to do a little reading for you just for the chance to peek at your book.  I would, but caveat I was a Zoology major in college so my attempts to help would be suspect.

How many pages are you talking?  My quick google seems to indicate simple proof reading around $3/page of text, good copy editing (grammar, punctuation, spelling, and mechanics) $4/page, and $7 or up for 'content editing'.  You wouldn't need the latter, I think your peer review has you covered there.  

Also, any idea if a publisher like Whitman to take an interest?  Do you get to the Baltimore shows or somewhere they have a presences.  That would be a long shot, but the exposure might make up for the costs they bear.

I do hope this works out, I really like the classic commems and it would be nice to have a quality book to admire them.  Second best would be a sweet website too.

17 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

5K for a copy editor?  No wonder some of those self pub Kindle books I've read (trashy fiction, don't judge) obviously haven't been professionally edited ;). 

Seriously though, I do like Physic Fan's idea a lot.  Amazon has opened up the possibility of self pub to many.  Pretty sure some folks would be happy to do a little reading for you just for the chance to peek at your book.  I would, but caveat I was a Zoology major in college so my attempts to help would be suspect.

How many pages are you talking?  My quick google seems to indicate simple proof reading around $3/page of text, good copy editing (grammar, punctuation, spelling, and mechanics) $4/page, and $7 or up for 'content editing'.  You wouldn't need the latter, I think your peer review has you covered there.   I'm guessing it will be the size of QDB's hard cover book.

Also, any idea if a publisher like Whitman to take an interest?  Do you get to the Baltimore shows or somewhere they have a presences.  That would be a long shot, but the exposure might make up for the costs they bear. Gave Whitman a chance to publish years ago. They didn't bite.

I do hope this works out, I really like the classic commems and it would be nice to have a quality book to admire them.  Second best would be a sweet website too. Much thanks.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:47 AM, leeg said:

Gave Whitman a chance to publish years ago. They didn't bite.

Probably because weren't they the publisher of QDB's book?  And I believe they have also done one of the their "Redbooks" on the Commems haven't they?

20 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Probably because weren't they the publisher of QDB's book?  And I believe they have also done one of the their "Redbooks" on the Commems haven't they?

QDB's book was published by Bowers and Merena Galleries, Inc. 

Whitman's Redbook on early commemoratives just came out in 2017.

I think you can use writing essays resources and plagiarism check services besides the editor since they can help at different stages of writing a book. I recommend taking a look at the examples on answershark.com/writing/essay-writing/persuasive-essay/persuasive-essay-sample, which relate to the subject of a persuasive writing. There are other topics that can be useful and can be used as full-fledged examples of works.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, Damien Forester said:

I think you can use writing essays resources and plagiarism check services besides the editor since they can help at different stages of writing a book. I recommend taking a look at the examples on answershark.com/writing/essay-writing/persuasive-essay/persuasive-essay-sample, which relate to the subject of a persuasive writing. There are other topics that can be useful and can be used as full-fledged examples of works.

Thanks I'll check it out.

I'm an editor. What would it take to get me to charge $5000 just for copy editing? A Michenerian fiction epic, perhaps, or full-dress autobio ghostwriting from pretty disorganized source material presented by a petulant, uncooperative client with lots of axes to grind and no realism about expectations. Or another of these horrendous urban paranormals. Yeah, anything that's all urban/elfy/vampy/undeady/werewolfy, that'll be spendy because I need to be compensated for hating my life while I deal with it. Especially if it has a sassy miniature dragon. I'd rather deal with a pretentious bodice-ripper any day.

The cost of editing is a function of mode and word count. Developmental vs. substantive vs. line vs. copy vs. proofreading; they all have different marching orders. It also matters greatly whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Non-fiction is cheaper because there isn't a plot to keep well policed--the question is what facts to introduce, and how to present them. That's much easier.

In my view, an editor should explain the different types of editing, then propose a course of action by which s/he can best help the client. Editors have the duty to tell their clients the truth, to pursue those courses of action which will best help clients reach their goals, and to be that person who knows things about the industry that the client may not.

@JKK

Howabout an urban paranormal bodice-ripper?

A plucky half fae/half werewolf/half vampire (because, you know, the author can't do simple math), is being courted by the local warlock king, but the Alphabet Soup Government Agency is tracking her every move.  She has to fight off a legion of orcs while pangfully resisting the Handsome Warlock to Save Him from the Government.  But she collects modern commemoratives and pogs (which she collected after finishing her stint in the Air Force where she did Search and Rescue) so you know, it's coin related. 

Oh, and, she has a pet sassy miniature gryphon who smokes cigars and makes wisecracks every other page.

It's only 500 pages and first in a series of 10.

How much for you to do the whole series (understanding that book 8 will focus on the miniature gryphon rescuing his soulmate from the clutches of an Evil Fallen Angel)?

-----------

(Okay, that was too much fun.  Maybe I should start a career as a self publishing Paranormal Author).

---------

@leeg

How's the book going?  I hope it is moving forward :)

3 hours ago, Star City Homer said:

-----------

(Okay, that was too much fun.  Maybe I should start a career as a self publishing Paranormal Author).

You should. The genre is behind on its satire medication. It looks as though you could whip up a rather potent dose almost at will.