• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to scan coins with window 10

10 posts in this topic

please forgive me if this topic is old...  but I just changed computers and now have windows 10. 

My old Adobe photo shop program no longer is compatible with windows 10.

I was wondering what programs collectors  are using to scan their coins into their computers?

I could take digital images but I prefer the scanned images.

Thnx

Welcome to the forums! 

If you don't mind, could you explain why you prefer scanned images over photographs? 

In my experience, scanned images generally tend to be low quality - the scanner can't adequately capture the luster of a coin, and the resulting image usually appears flat and washed out. Phone cameras are often good enough these days to take decent pictures - usually better than scans. Scans may be better for paper money, however. 

Follow up question: what are you trying to do with the images? Your scanner should have included software for actually capturing the image. If you are doing simple cropping, there are a wide variety of free programs that offer basic photo-editing. Is there something that photoshop did that some other program won't?

And, if you really need photoshop, I'll bet that updating to a newer version of the program would be compatible with any operating system, and give you a host of new features.  

There should be plenty of youtube videos or threads on this topic if you google it.

Scanners are super convenient; unless you have a proper camera set-up, with super macro settings, it can be a bear to get decent dependable images.

And there are many good near photo quality scanners out there under $100, many libraries have stand alone ones with computers connected so it is fast.

Major auction companies have scan images, NGC's image database are largely scanner images.  Of course professional images are better if you have all the equipment.

How old is your Photoshop?  It should work in Win 10.  If it's a driver issue, you probably need to find a TWAIN driver for your scanner.

You could investigate setting Photoshop to run in compatibility mode with an earlier version of Windows (on the property panel of the Photoshop executable).

A more likely source of incompatibility is that your scanner is so old that drivers are not available for Win 10.  Is that the case?

Having said all that, I agree with the above poster who says cameras yield much better results.

I've always preferred scans over Camera photos (30,000 eBay lots sold and counting), except for Red BU Copper coins... a 600dpi blows up quite well
IF you've been "hanging around" long enough, you can easily see if the pictures of an offered coin are scans or are photographs
(and if you know this, you can pick-up some nice coins because you'll know what they really look like)

RE: " Major auction companies have scan images ...."

Well, not the coin auction companies I've seen in operation.  :)

Wow, we're back.  How long was the site down? 

My wife and I were babysitting our new grandchild  so... the coins got shirt shrift.

Thanks for all the replies:

First off, I'm not really that competent so my wife does all the scanning.

She is using the paint program that came with the computer with windows 10.   She is more comfortable with her old adobe program but I think the new software is just as good.

She also took a digital photo and I  thought that the coin image didn't appear as "flat" as a scanned image.  My wife thought that the scans show  more detail than the image taken with the camera.

I advised her (as was recommended)  that if she wanted to maintain her adobe program, that maybe all she needs to do is update the software with a new driver but I wouldn't bother.

So... I think that the digital pictures are great but the last time I saw her she was scanning newly arrived coins into the paint program so who's opinion counts?