• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shillings of the 1850s, Comment Or GTG If You Like

11 posts in this topic

OK, well here are some pictures of a couple of shillings but apologise in advance for the quality of the hand held iPhone photos & especially the first - the coin actually has beautiful tone with very pleasant underlying lustre that DOES NOT SHOW, and there is no corrosion on the obverse. The apparent scratch on the 1854 obverse is on the holder...Maybe I'll try another obverse shot of the first later on.

PS - The 1863/1 shown earlier is definitely the equal of the best of these and more.

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

Nice pieces. there cant be many 1850 shillings better than this one.

Here is a pic of my only 1850s era shilling, an 1855 bought raw. I have some other Victoria Shillings and am trying to put together a type set per the British Standard Catalog.

A couple more to go. S 3906 (1879), and 3907A (also 1879).

1855 shilling.jpg

Well, here are a couple for you 7 Jags.

1844 farthing ex Norweb and Colin Cooke Collections. 1844 is the 1850 shilling of farthings. Colin Cooke , who put together arguably the greatest collection of farthings ever, once owned this piece. I was lucky to get the chance to buy it a few years ago.

Graded as a 65.

And an 1872 shilling. It aint an 1850 for sure, as it seems to be a much more common date in good condition, but its a pretty piece. 

1844 farthing ex-Cooke, Norweb.jpg

1872 shilling obverse.jpg

1872 shilling reverse.jpg

Ah yes, I remember that farthing - very nice. Colin Cooke helped me out many times before his passing & Neil has been of help as well. Like shillings obviously & especially the earlier ones. The overdate incidentally (1863/1) got regraded as a "62" by our hosts - though I think it a bit nicer & the rarity at that level is pretty high. I will post the MS66 1889 sm head shilling eventually, a scarce coin but not on the level of the '50 or 63/1.

Another source that has dried up is the Spink of olde - many nice coins including shillings were gotten from that source & the pre-pub lists were legendary.

7 hours ago, 7.jaguars said:

Ah yes, I remember that farthing - very nice. Colin Cooke helped me out many times before his passing & Neil has been of help as well. Like shillings obviously & especially the earlier ones. The overdate incidentally (1863/1) got regraded as a "62" by our hosts - though I think it a bit nicer & the rarity at that level is pretty high. I will post the MS66 1889 sm head shilling eventually, a scarce coin but not on the level of the '50 or 63/1.

Another source that has dried up is the Spink of olde - many nice coins including shillings were gotten from that source & the pre-pub lists were legendary.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with Spink. Their Numismatic Circulars, which began in 1892, are now history. And I find their website unusable when doing any research.

Sovereign Rarities though appears to be an up and coming source . They are a group of ex-Baldwins people , including their ex-COO, who have gone off on their own. I've found them to be pretty expensive, however.

Yes, quite right with the Sov. Rarities as they are not so  much for the "ordinary" collector - or rather, the collector of ordinary means. Steve is a great guy who has helped me tremendously over the years. Spink is a mere shadow of their former selves and only offer publishing and auction services. Do you have the last ESC by Bull? This I recommend in spite of all of the errors.

No I dont have the latest ESC. But I can barely get into my office with all of the reference books and old auction catalogs I DO have.xD

Here is an 1887 proof florin I bought about 3 years ago.

1887 proof florin.jpg