• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EleMint

14 posts in this topic

The 1992 Columbus half dollar is my favorite modern commemorative coin design. Stands up well alongside older coins imo. What do you think?

Edited by EleMint Man

Only 135,702 1992 D Columbus half dollars were minted. PCGS has Graded 201 MS70's and NGC 178. ICG, who knows.  This fine coin is worthy in any collection! Heck, I'm not trying to sell it, I simply like it! BTW, The 1991 S MT Rushmore sparkles, looks 3D!

Also, The 1986 Statue of Liberty half dollar is another well designed coin. I have a NGC MS70 "GOD Bless America" in the old holder.The Twin Towers are visible on the upper right. Makes me reflect. The label transcends the coin.

image.png.e00783e4ca09a6af67ba89a0c48c8110.png1986 S Statue of Liberty Commemorative Half Dollar NGC PF70 Ultra Cameo

Edited by EleMint Man

The SOL 50 cent is an interesting design.  Only US coin where the main figures on BOTH sides have their backs to the viewer.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:45 AM, Nutmeg Coin said:

This is probably  a true likenesses  of Columbus . Talk about statues! Halten Sie auf, meinen Freund zu posten!

Christopher_Columbus_statue_at_Parque_de_Santa_Catarina.jpg

Edited by EleMint Man

On 8/8/2017 at 10:57 AM, Conder101 said:

The SOL 50 cent is an interesting design.  Only US coin where the main figures on BOTH sides have their backs to the viewer.

Good observation . 

15 hours ago, EleMint Man said:

This is probably  a true likenesses  of Columbus .

Based on what evidence?  Considering no proven sketch or painting of the man is known why would there be a statue?  Seems unlikely.  When was the statue made?  Location?  Ok I found the location but I haven't been able to find out when it was erected.

Edited by Conder101

On 8/23/2017 at 1:35 PM, Conder101 said:

Based on what evidence?  Considering no proven sketch or painting of the man is known why would there be a statue?  Seems unlikely.  When was the statue made?  Location?  Ok I found the location but I haven't been able to find out when it was erected.

Well, I don't know if there is a proven painting or sketch of Columbus. The statue is located in Funchal Madeira, an island off the coast of Portugal. The Christopher Columbus Quincentenary $5 gold piece has much the same (Side Profile) features as does the statue. I can't find the the date when it was  erected too, online. Looks like a nice Island !lot775911.jpgnline. 

Edited by EleMint Man

On 8/27/2017 at 3:36 PM, Nutmeg Coin said:

Very good article and point. Seems there's a shroud of mystery where him and crew landing in 1492. Guanahani  (Named by the Taíno, the natives that lived there at the time) Bahama is what Wiki info  says the landing occurred..but which island in the Bahamas?? There are more then 700 islands in the Bahamas. GEEZ!!

The conquistadors  SOB were far worse.  A bit OT but relevant in a abstract form. 

Edited by EleMint Man

13 hours ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Reading Felipe Fernandez-Armesto on the subject is  always good.

Wow...Fernández-Armesto gained media attention in 2007 for his alleged brutalising by five policemen in Atlanta, Georgia, as a result of jaywalkin

Edited by EleMint Man