• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isle of Man

5 posts in this topic

I am becoming more interested in the coins of the Isle of Man. Circulation coins were issued in limited amounts and for very short periods at different times since 1709, not counting the Hiberno-Manx mintage of about 1025. A limited survey was conducted for every year since 1993 on how many IOM coins were retuned in changed compared to the British or Euro coinage. In 1993, the vast majority of change was from the IOM. Each year the percentage of IOM coins decreased until approximately 2002. There has been a resurgence in the use of the IOM coins since 2002. 

Regarding the mints of IOM coins:

The Royal Mint of England produced coins for the Isle of Man from 1965 until 1972. The Pobjoy Mint took over producing the coins in 1972 for the IOM. This year (2017), the Tower Mint has begun minting the coins. The Pobjoy and Tower mints are located in England. On occasion, the Canadian royal mint produced commemorative coins for the IOM.

I will talk about early (1700 and 1800s) IOM coins in a future post. I may also discuss some similar designs in ancient coinage. From there - if there is interest, I will discuss modern IOM issues (1965-present).

The first official Manx coin was dated 1709, but was not actually legal tender until the Act of Tynwald in June of 1710. The coinage consisted of half and whole pennies. These coins were cast in moulds.

The second official issue was in 1733 and were die struck. These also were half and full pennies.

the images are not mine and were borrowed from Ebay.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Excellent. There is some very interesting history with politics and religion through and following the reign of Elizabeth I. Perhaps I am alone, but I like the Viking on Horseback gold coins of the 1973-83 period....

I look forward to learning about these coins from you. I'll be honest, pretty much all I know about IOM coins is their modern NCLT, so I've pretty much entirely ignored this little dominion.