• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Certifies Mexico 60 Pesos Struck on U.S. $10 Liberty

6 posts in this topic

Trying to make coins.  This was a provisional government during a period of revolution.  They probably got a hold of a group of US gold eagles and rather than taking the time to melt them down, roll the ingots, cut planchets etc they just used the 60 peso dies and overstruck them.  Being of smaller size they were probably intended to pass at 20 to 25 pesos.  There were a lot of strange coins produced during the revolution.

I just doubt Governor Dávila would approve this. While possibly @Conder101 is right, I think this was either a test, or done after the fact. The production of the 60 pesos coin was very limited and had the prestige of the government on the line, I am not sure the "soberanistas" would risk it producing coins that were not of the correct characteristics. Cannot believe this coins was part of the official minting. But still an interesting piece.