• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

225th enhanced coin set?.

35 posts in this topic

So I was wanting to get one of these sets. Got a reminder ftom the mint but went to the page and they are not available. Are these sold out already?

Well I did find out they sold out already. $29.95 and now going for about $55 on the bay. Dang flippers bought them all up!:censored:

5 minutes ago, skippy said:

Quite unfair to most collectors to have a small mintage limit and no per household limit.

Yes sir!

I did not want one of these sets, but it is really disgusting that the mint has pulled another fast one and sold all of these coins to flippers and dealers. This situation is as bad as it was in the “good old days” when small numbers of people got their hands on the commemorative coin issues during the 1930s and then charged collectors monopoly prices for the coins.

The mint should put limits on the number of pieces per order. There would still be instances of dealers forming combines of buyers to let them get more coins and then their allotted share, but at least the average collector would have chance to buy the coins before they were all sold out.

I got online at 10:59 CST and had my wife call at exactly 11. Busy signal, but I managed to get my order in online for 5 sets. Got confirmation email a few minutes later. My experience with the mint on these is somewhat mixed. I get some and I lose some. 

I decided to tune in coin vault that night just to see what they were selling them for; 70 grades were going for just under $500 and 69 grades were just under $200.  From what they were saying; PCGS had at least 1000 sets according to the label. 

8/2 Just got an email saying my sets have shipped

I set a reminder on my calendar and was lucky enough to order a set, and I agree I was surprised there was no household order limit, as the last few limited items were for 5-10 sets per household which would have given more collectors a chance than the big companies just buying up 10,000 at a time!  

Sorry Bobby,  you should have posted here maybe someone had ordered an extra one and would give you a break, I would have!

8 minutes ago, jtryka said:

Sorry Bobby,  you should have posted here maybe someone had ordered an extra one and would give you a break, I would have!

I know you would have my friend! Thanks anyway! About $13 more than I would have paid with mint shipping. Could've been worse. 

8 hours ago, skippy said:

I filed a complaint with the mint about this one.  They at least agreed to have it reviewed at a higher level.

Don't hold your breath. This has happened a number times before, but the abuses still happen.

The mint is now putting out a four piece of the 225th anniversary medal. For that one they are limiting to purchases to one per household. That is a sure fire indicator that that four piece set will be of little interest to the flippers.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:35 PM, bsshog40 said:

So I was wanting to get one of these sets. Got a reminder ftom the mint but went to the page and they are not available. Are these sold out already?

Bought one this morning from the mint. Not sold out yet.

Saw a notice on fb this am that they were back on sale. Went online and bought 5 sets. Not sure what is going on with this.

Checked w/NGC yesterday regarding certification and they have to certify individually, not in the mint lens. This means $26 per coin (if you want early release labels). So, $260 plus shipping for each set (thats shipping both ways, and more if you want other services. 

Got a confirmed purchase through the website this morning, although it took several tries because the website was balky.

I choose to believe that my filing of a complaint made a difference!  :banana:

Well the mint site never really stated Sold Out if I'm not mistaken, just showed Unavailable. I'm wondering if they just had an issue with the website? Sure made some money for the ebay flippers, but this may put a damper on some sales until they are really sold out. 

18 hours ago, skippy said:

Got a confirmed purchase through the website this morning, although it took several tries because the website was balky.

I choose to believe that my filing of a complaint made a difference!  :banana:

Doubt that one, they hear these complaints all the time. They probably sold what they had in stock and now taking orders to fulfill quote. 

13 hours ago, Brian D said:

Doubt that one, they hear these complaints all the time. They probably sold what they had in stock and now taking orders to fulfill quote. 

I think you missed the smiley face.

I got my set today and it is really nice, also got a silver Liberty medal and they really upgraded the packaging on that one!  I also noticed on the insert cards with the coin specs on the mint and proof sets, they now call the cent a "penny" when did they start doing that?  I don't know that the mint has ever referred to the cent as a penny before!