• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PERU 1996 20 Nuevos Soles

9 posts in this topic

I recently purchased 1996 Peru 20 Sol Olympic Commemorative coins.

They look real enough, and I have a submission ready for when the last coin is delivered Friday.

However, I did receive a coin that I did not order, and the dealer, Arkady Nakhimovsky, is reluctant to find the auction papers for that coin so that I may ascertain its mintage.

Should I return the entire set while I can?

These are the coins I currently have for submission:

5978da0ab4c01_1996Peru20PEN2816128(obv).JPG.b3e5f46ce94b4222dfe365b1a2ae65cc.JPG

5978da0bd295c_1996Peru20PEN2816128(rev).JPG.811ab1f3cf2af325de7689b27af6b1de.JPG

This is the coin whose mintage I can not ascertain. The dealer says it was 25, not the 18 or 100 gleaned from auction documents:

5978da9d0d5b1_1996PeruLrg.Silverpiedfort20SOpympicDiscusT1(obv).JPG.e6125cc287cd81fb3af69ee7ad6162d6.JPG5978da9dccc4d_1996PeruLrg.Silverpiedfort20SOpympicDiscusT1.JPG.d29be63f4a09e88f704ae59aa233d3ca.JPG

Edited by Miguel del Rio
spelling

These pattern coins were neither solicited nor authorized by Peru:

“In the 1990's a firm in London named the International Currency Bureau, Ltd, commonly known as ICB , attempted to win contracts to issue coins for various third world nations.  They would design and strike a limited number of pattern coins for each country in hopes of winning a contract.  Though many of their issues were attractive, they were unable to win any major contracts.  After a few years they went bankrupt and were liquidated.”

There is no absolute answer to your question.  You'll need to evaluate whether these coins fit into your collecting goals for the amount you paid.  If you like these coins despite what you wrote, I would keep them.  Sounds like you are having second thoughts.

You didn't order it, you don't have to pay for it.  If he knows that you keeping AND paying for it is somewhat contingent on the information you asked for, maybe he will try a little harder to provide it.  Did you order individual coins or the set?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:18 AM, Paolo_23 said:

Hello, they are tests that never circulated. Do you still have them?

With an over-abundance of beautiful, "rare" coins, how do you find the time?

On 7/27/2017 at 2:51 PM, Miguel del Rio said:

No getting around the fact that these are "genuine fakes."

I would not want to be caught in Peru with them, especially the one coin having the Peruvian Coat of Arms!

Indeed. I'd think the Policía Nacional would have absolutely zero sense of humor about importation of counterfeit Peruvian coins.

22 hours ago, JKK said:

Indeed. I'd think the Policía Nacional would have absolutely zero sense of humor about importation of counterfeit Peruvian coins.

Yeah......no kidding.  I don't think I'd want to *spoon* those guys off.