• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1895 S Morgan

17 posts in this topic

This is an interesting coin, and may have been overdipped but was wondering what readers felt the grade may be?

Admittedly an absolutely horrible phone camera shot that washed it out some...

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

If it hasn't been cleaned or altered - which I can't determine from the images - it looks MS64 at a minimum, and possibly PL.

Nice coin.  1895 S Morgans in this condition are rare.  My guess is MS 64, but it hard to tell from this picture which is a bit over exposed.

I bought this at a Bowers & Merena auction several years ago. I had seen some other '95S,  both PL and ordinary satin type currency but most that were in a semi-affordable category had many marks on the devices, esp. Liberty (I have heard that Redfield and others used counting machines that damaged many??). This did not have these but did not have booming silver color, being a bit subdued & just not as "white" silver as other PLs. There are a few hairlines under magnification and some scattered bag marks but Miss Liberty and the Eagle central devices very clean.  It looks as though it were dipped to me. However, IMO most definitely a PL (but not DMPL) coin with a very nice strike as is seen.

Still, it was quite attractive and got it at a Baltimore sale that went on a Tuesday (rainy) night that was poorly attended and this was nearly a decade or so ago & been slabbed for I think about 5 years.  I also got an unslabbed 89CC that I subsequently resold as I can not afford to hold such coins.

After I post the grade, I would appreciate advice from Mark or others as to whether I should try to cross, etc.

I might suggest MS-65 but not PL. At that level it would have to be examined in person. But with current inflated grading, it might be MS-66 -- much depends on the fields and fine details of damage.

I'm guessing that the pictures are hiding some things, so I'll guess Ms-63. Really hard to judge PL from these pictures, but NGC was slacker a few years ago so I'll guess you got it. 

Here goes:    62PL

I will say in hand that it has reflectivity that appears PL, but for "wear" or marks it is very, very clean on the devices and little field action. If that is the grade I do have to say I'd sign up for some 62 coins - I actually put it up side to side with a couple of 63s & it must just be the ownership factor but thought this one quite a bit nicer.

9 minutes ago, rrantique said:

I just don't see what's holding it down.(shrug)

That is often the nature of making assessments from images.