• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916 pcgs ms62 (secure) monster toned buffalo 5 cents

16 posts in this topic

Just won this 1916 pcgs ms62 (secure) buffalo nickel with beautiful toning.  Do you like this kind of wood grained toning.  ms62 looks like a harsh grade for a coin as mark free as this.

s-l500.1916.abcd.jpg

s-l500.1916.abcd.2.jpg

``````````````````I like it. Wood grain toning appeals to me for some reason. I'm more familiar with wg toning on Lincoln cents, but I also believe the services are tough on wood-grained coins. 

No, I've never been a fan of the streaky toning. I think it is unattractive on Lincolns, and I like it even less on Buffaloes. I know some people like it though, and if it makes you happy then good for you. 

one thing about "streaky copper/brown toning": it's a hallmark of sorts that the Nickel has been dipped. After dipping and encapsulation, the Nickel will turn colors in the holder.  You can see that a streaky coin probably will not have its Original Skin.
About Pennies: horrible alloying, made especially obvious by application of Care, Blue Ribbon, &c

1 hour ago, thebeav said:

I really like this coin.

Sorry Allmine, I don't agree with you on this being dipped.

that's OK, didn't say it w-a-s, but the hallmarks are there... if there is no "original skin", then buy it because you like it
"Nickel is slowly oxidized by air at room temperature and is considered corrosion-resistant" -Wiki
What tones is the Copper in the Nickel, and that it tones in such a "striped" fashion (and you see this in countless Buffs)  isn't Natural toning, but is a reaction to, something... "excited" bad alloying maybe. You'll notice that the striped toning front and back goes in the same direction. Thus the MS62 grade for the OP's coin

On 7/19/2017 at 5:51 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

No, I've never been a fan of the streaky toning. I think it is unattractive on Lincolns, and I like it even less on Buffaloes. I know some people like it though, and if it makes you happy then good for you. 

It is the worst type of streaky toning because it results in part from an improperly mixed alloy.  You can dip it, but it will come back like a huge copper spot on gold.  I can see a 2-3 point deduction from the grade.  I think PCGS net graded the coin.

Edited to add:  No offense is meant to the OP.  Other than the streaking, I like the coin.

1 hour ago, allmine said:

it didn't look "that way" when it was struck, so you can be sure that *something* happened to it

No toned coin looks that way when when it was struck. 

But the streaking effect is from an improper alloy mix - different alloys will tone differently. 

2 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

No toned coin looks that way when when it was struck. 

But the streaking effect is from an improper alloy mix - different alloys will tone differently. 

it was intimated as such above

do you have it in hand yet? I suspect there are some lighting tricks and possibly even outright photoshop making some marks look much less apparent than they actually are.