• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCG Coin Explorer and PCGS Coinfacts?

17 posts in this topic

I have a question about these services.

Where do they assemble those high quality images ?  From submissions?  NGC Coin Explorer display only one image for each denomination&date while Coinfacts show multiple images (and they occasionally happen to be the same identical coin in different grade) for the same denomination&date.

How do they chose images for their sites?

A lot of the "Coin Facts" images come from coins that PCGS has recently graded. I know this because I own a number of those coins, and they cropped on the site just after they were graded. NGC has coin images at the bottom of their page that in the registry. The coin must be NGC graded to appear there.

Does PCGS image all the recently graded coins and put up on Coinfacts?

1 hour ago, BillJones said:

NGC has coin images at the bottom of their page that in the registry. The coin must be NGC graded to appear there.

So I guess those images on the bottom are taken by the owner, not NGC.  And the images on the top are taken by NGC?

Coinfacts at one time used pics of items that they did not have pics on, now they mainly use TrueViews that come from 'secure' submissions or purchased by submitter.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The images in Coin Explorer are taken by Doug Plasencia or Paul Sandler, both of NGC. They are of coins submitted to NGC for grading.

7 hours ago, toyonakataro said:

So I guess those images on the bottom are taken by the owner, not NGC.  And the images on the top are taken by NGC?

Yes, the images at the bottom are taken straight from the Registry, and show whatever image the owner has uploaded. 

The images on the Cert Verification page are taken by NGC. The images at the top of each coin's page are taken by NGC, as Lange just mentioned. 

8 hours ago, e1cnr said:

Coinfacts at one time used pics of items that they did not have pics on, now they mainly use TrueViews that come from 'secure' submissions or purchased by submitter.

Do they(Coinfacts) regularlly delete duplicated images supposedly caused by re-submissins?

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

The images on the Cert Verification page are taken by NGC. The images at the top of each coin's page are taken by NGC, as Lange just mentioned. 

Do they change those images if better looking (gradewise or eye-appealwise) came to NGC for grading?

10 minutes ago, toyonakataro said:

Do they change those images if better looking (gradewise or eye-appealwise) came to NGC for grading?

I would assume so, but Lange might be able to answer better. 

Best of both worlds would be Newman Numismatic Portal. Go to Encyclopedia and choose your coin. You'll find many recent auction results from NGC and PCGS. They are listed by grade then by auction date. Cool site !

4 hours ago, toyonakataro said:

Do they(Coinfacts) regularlly delete duplicated images supposedly caused by re-submissins?

I do not think so if it was a crack-out. If it was a review or re-holder resubmission, the cert number stays the same, and that is part of the file name so old pic would be 'covered-up'. On the coinfacts page for a coin, on the upper left is a button to show all pictures. Some of the issues (like 1881-S Morgan) have over 50 pictures...  I do remember seeing a coin (but don't remember which one) where 5 of the top 7 coinfacts pictures were definitely the same coin. I am not an employee at PCGS and just a collector (an occasional eBay seller) , but these are my impressions.

11 hours ago, numisport said:

Best of both worlds would be Newman Numismatic Portal. Go to Encyclopedia and choose your coin. You'll find many recent auction results from NGC and PCGS. They are listed by grade then by auction date. Cool site !

Will you give me the link for encylopedia?

9 hours ago, e1cnr said:

I do not think so if it was a crack-out. If it was a review or re-holder resubmission, the cert number stays the same, and that is part of the file name so old pic would be 'covered-up'. On the coinfacts page for a coin, on the upper left is a button to show all pictures. Some of the issues (like 1881-S Morgan) have over 50 pictures...  I do remember seeing a coin (but don't remember which one) where 5 of the top 7 coinfacts pictures were definitely the same coin. I am not an employee at PCGS and just a collector (an occasional eBay seller) , but these are my impressions

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=4340

By not deleting the dupilicated images, I can learn the history of gradeflation, whitch is somewhat interesting and informative.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC does swap out the Explorer images when a better subject becomes available. A lot of times this is done by me as I'm writing the text.