• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEALERS: The ANA Dealer Relations Committee would like your feedback

14 posts in this topic

As many of you know, I am the Chair for the ANA Dealer's Relation Committee and we are charged with providing comments and feedback to the board on ways to improve the ANA shows as it relates to dealers. Our committee is made up of representatives from Heritage, Stacks Bowers, small and large dealers, and paper money and foreign coin dealers.

Just so you know, there is a separate committee that deals with feedback from collectors, so no disrespect intended whatsoever to all you collectors, but for this post, I am specifically looking for ideas on how shows can be improved from a DEALER'S PERSPECTIVE.

Here are some questions we'd like feedback on, but feel free to comment on other areas not mentioned:

• Would the ANA and its members be better served by choosing an anchor city (such as Rosemont) to avoid taxes and nexus issues?

• Do you think the ANA should offer dealers more educational opportunities/seminars before and/or after shows that are specifically focused on dealers such as Chinese counterfeits, ecommerce, photography, numismatic law, marketing, etc.?

• Should the ANA consider local tax issues when choosing cities (keep in mind, the list will be short on venues without tax issues)?

• What are your thoughts on the Dealer listing on ANA website, any ideas on improvement?

• Any other ideas on improving the shows for dealers?

I will gather any feedback I receive and present it to our committee for discussion at our meeting in Denver next month. If any of you prefer not to comment publicly, please feel free to send me a PM or an email at charmy@thepennylady.com. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Not too many dealers here. 

How about a Collectors Relation Committee and what we want in a show? 

Read the first sentence in the second paragraph of Charmy's post.

3 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Yes, I know that she mentions that these people exist. But, I've seen Charmy post for years about the Dealer relations committee on a forum with few dealers....and I've never seen anyone from this supposed collector's relations committee. The collector's committee should focus on the forums (where collectors are). The dealers committee would be far better served talking to the PNG. 

This forum is just ONE venue where we solicit information. And believe it or not, there are quite a few dealers who are members of this and other coin forums, many of whom prefer to simply "lurk" rather than post, so putting the questions out there lets them know we are soliciting this information and they tend to pm, email, or talk to me in person at a show with their responses.

By the way, the ANA Conventions Committee is where collectors can give feedback: "The Convention Committee facilitates the work of the convention(s) under the direction of the Executive Director and/or Conventions Director [Bylaws: Article X, Section 2]. It serves to provide feedback and/or perceptions from the general public, membership, and local convention committees on the National Money Show and World's Fair of Money conventions."  Larry Gaye is the Chair - you can contact him here: lgaius.larry@gmail.com

Also, another thread was started on the PCGS forum specifically directed to collectors:  Suggestions to the ANA from Collectors

3 hours ago, The Penny Lady said:

Zebo, our committee meets on Thursday morning, so if you can't make it to the show on Tuesday or Wednesday, feel free to pm or email me.  Thank you.

I will - thanks

On 7/17/2017 at 5:08 PM, MarkFeld said:

I think the point that I was trying to make, @The Penny Lady, is that the so-called collectors committee has never, in my recollection, ever made an appearance or solicited input from the collectors of any forum that I've ever been a member of. This committee probably exists, and it probably thinks it is trying to do its job..... but who are they? Where are they? Today's collectors are on the internet. If this committee isn't on the internet actively seeking input, they don't exist. 

Wow, that is harsh, physics.  Not everyone takes polls on message boards or seeks advice from folks on message boards, and just because an organization or group isn't active online doesn't mean they don't exist.  I happen to be active in social media so that is just ONE avenue I use to collect information.  I also gather information in various other forms such as speaking in person to people, even taking handwritten notes, reading articles, talking to other bourse chairs, etc.

Actually, Physics, if you feel so strongly about this, why don't you be proactive and contact the ANA yourself about all your concerns as a collector.  I doubt they will ignore you and it may even do some good.  I am doing my part as best as I can to help the numismatic community including, in this case, being on this committee to come up with ways the ANA can possibly make their shows better from a dealer standpoint, because if the dealers stop participating, there will be no shows.  And who knows, it may come to that in time.  But I would dearly love to see more collectors who are passionate like you get involved to try and help the numismatic community.  It does no one any good for folks to just complain about all that is wrong without trying to fix the problem(s) they are experiencing.

@The Penny Lady, I didn't mean it to sound too harsh (and it certainly wasn't directed at you). I understand that you are focused on the dealer side of things. I know you are doing a lot on that side. I see you actively trying to make things better for the dealers. And that's great. 

I just don't see any community involvement from the collectors committee. And that's not great. I would argue that a very large percentage of the hobby occurs on the internet nowadays, and any initiative that hopes to be effective must have a strong internet presence. Otherwise, nobody knows they exist. 

As I said, why don't YOU do something to help the collector community?  Contact the ANA and offer to help the collector community group.  Be their spokesperson.  YOU can make a difference.

By the way, I am focused on the dealer side for this committee, but I am also president of Women in Numismatics, and a member of several clubs, including the Fly-In Club where I am District Manager and help edit the newsletter.  I also have set up collector exhibits to try and help educate people on penny exonumia.  I say this not to brag whatsoever, but to point out that I am also a collector at heart and try to do my part for the collector community as well.  I really think you might be a great asset to the collector community by volunteering your time to help.

I have been and remain impressed with all you do for the hobby. Whatever manner you choose to solicit and (more importantly, to me) disseminate information is fine. It has been my experience that any communication venue always functions on a beating heart of word of mouth, regardless of how many electronic platforms a person is familiar with  or not. On many occasions when I have been asked about one cent pieces that are in my opinion deserving of special attention, I have referred the owner to you. The reason: I like a combination of humble, knowledgeable, and  volunteer involvement. Thank you for all you do. I have even been able to grudgingly admit that there is some value in owning a cat, due to your posts.