• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned coins on eBay use with black light

18 posts in this topic

I noticed that more and more sellers start to use the black light on toning coins often now on eBay? My opinion, I don't like the idea of using the black light on toning coin to pull in more bidders/buyers. I think the shade of colours will show different between black light and natural light; such as, natural light will show that the toning is darker than it shows with black light, I think. 

5 hours ago, A.Phillips said:

I noticed that more and more sellers start to use the black light on toning coins often now on eBay? My opinion, I don't like the idea of using the black light on toning coin to pull in more bidders/buyers. I think the shade of colours will show different between black light and natural light; such as, natural light will show that the toning is darker than it shows with black light, I think. 

I don't see how that could happen

on the third, I see the reflection of florescent lighting from the ceiling - the others also have natural or white light.

are you saying a blacklight is also being used to bright out colors? I might have to try this to see if I get any differences.

Not sure about the black light, but I looked at the 1887 when it was for sale. To me, I didn't think it would look as nice in hand and would not of paid close to selling price.....

If a black light actually made the colors more intense I would definitely suspect AT.  Typically the colors are created by thin film interference of silver sulfide and silver sulfide does not fluoresce.  If the colors brighten they are being created by something other than the typical silver compounds that create natural toning. 

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

If a black light actually made the colors more intense I would definitely suspect AT.  Typically the colors are created by thin film interference of silver sulfide and silver sulfide does not fluoresce.  If the colors brighten they are being created by something other than the typical silver compounds that create natural toning. 

That's make a sense.. 

Under long wave UV the label is likely to fluoresce, the coin never will unless something has been added to the surface. (A lot of papers have 'brighteners' added.)

4 hours ago, Nutmeg Coin said:

He's getting something.... I would not call those good pictures. Those pictures are overlit/overexposed, and somewhat out of focus. 

I have no idea what the OP is referencing.  All I see is sellers with very poor photography skills.  I see no signs of UV light ("black-light") being used for the photos of any of the linked coins.

(: