• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

British Kings

15 posts in this topic

Spoiler

King George III was the longest ruling monarch until Queen Victoria's reign. George III (1738-1820) ascended to the throne in 1760 and ruled for 59 years. He was seceded by King George IV. George III was king when America won it's independence. He spent his last years in a fog of mental illness. This is the first issue of Pristucci's St. George design that is celebrating it's 200th anniversary this year. The St. George design was used until 1825 when both the St. George and Shield reverses were issued. It was replaced by the Shield reverse in 1826. St. George was reintroduced in 1871 and continues to this day. Between 1871 and 1887, both the St.George and Shield reverses were produced. This is partly due to India and China's preference for the Shield reverse. This makes sense as the dragon is a Chinese national symbol and the presence of St. George slaying the dragon wouldn't be viewed kindly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/983949/the-scandalous-life-of-rufus-a-k-a-king-william-ii-of-england#latest

This is my attempt at getting Bill to post more here as his posts are extremely informative and he has some beautiful  coins. I understand his disappoint with NGC's decision - but that isn't what this is about. It's about the education and enjoyment of the members here. 

Here is another old coin, from the reign of King Canute, who, with his father, Sweyn Forkbeard of Denmark, conquered England around the year 1014.

Forkbeard died soon after the conquest so Canute took over as King of England and Denmark.

A well know fable about Canute was of the time he commanded the incoming tide to reverse itself and go back out. Much to his surprise, that didnt work.

Canute reigned for about 20 years, from around 1015 to about 1035.

Cnut penny, obverse.jpg

Cnut penny, reverse.jpg

I liked your insight on the shield vs St George design for India and China on Victorian gold. I hadn't thought of it that way

Since India and China were close trading partners, the Indians preferred the shield back over St. George.

Just before that, India preferred the Australian sovereign minted in Sydney starting in 1855 which had an Austrlian reverse because it was minted with silver as an alloy instead of copper that the Britished used. This made the sovereign more yellow in color. In 1857, The Australian's came up with a portrait of Victoria with a sprig of native grown banksia in the Queen’s hair instead of the bun that was common on the British sovereigns. This touch of colonial pride seems to have gone unnoticed in London for a number of years until 1870. in 1871, approval for the Sydney Mint design was abruptly revoked and Australian Sovereigns once again took on the traditional British design. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is a pic of an 1820 halfcrown I bought a while back. Either a 65 or a 66.

just after the Napoleonic Wars , which ended with Britains victory in 1815, the country embarked on a recoinage using new steam powered technology. This is an example.

1820 halfcrown obverse.jpg

1820 halfcrown reverse.jpg

If you are interested and haven't seen them before, Zebo, you can check out my journal and the pics there too.

Here is an 1855 sixpence

1855 sixpence, obverse.jpg

1855 sixpence, reverse.jpg

Here is an original 1911 silver proof set with nice matching toning. Was bought at auction a number of years ago.

This set was made to commemorate the Coronation of King George V in 1911.

1911 proof set.jpg