• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 type one buffalo vs. 1909 vdb matte proof Lincoln

9 posts in this topic

The relative mintages of the 1909 vdb matte proof Lincoln cent and the 1913 type one matte proof buffalo nickel are roughly equivalent.  Yet the 09db is many times more expensive than the 1913 type one

nickel.  Is this all attributable to supply and demand?  Or are there other factors in play here. 

,1913.poooooof.01.jpg

Still a great coin.  The Anacs blue holder does not carry the guarantee of their gold holder.  http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/FAQServices.aspx#jump18

How will my ANACS-certified coins be reholdered?
On January 1, 2008 ANACS, under its new ownership, relocated from Austin, Texas to suburban Denver. Coins that were certified by ANACS under previous ownership will be reholdered in ANACS's blue label. Coins that were certified since January 1, 2008 under the new ownership, will be reholdered using ANACS's gold label.

In case you missed it, one guy has cornered the market on the 1909-VDB cents. He has something like 75 of them. With the market tied up there are none to be had for most collectors, and the coin is essentually "dead" for us. That hoard has kept the supply available down to a minimum.

As to the number minted, the Red Book says that 400 to 600 Matte Proof 1909-VDB cents were minted and then lists (1,194). That is confusing to say the least. The Red Book says the the mintage for the Type I Buffalo Nickel is 1,520, so the coin looks to be a little more common from that perspective.

The hoard of VDB MPL's actually consists of 53 coins, still a bunch. The owner unfortunately is attempting to sell the group as a whole rather than each coin separately. He may be the owner for quite some time unless he changes his mind.

1 hour ago, robec1347 said:

The hoard of VDB MPL's actually consists of 53 coins, still a bunch. The owner unfortunately is attempting to sell the group as a whole rather than each coin separately. He may be the owner for quite some time unless he changes his mind.

I hope that guy loses his shirt to tell you the truth. The only people who benefit are those from whom he purchased the coins. He's like the hog in the pigpen who lays in the trough to keep the others from eating.

We have another couple of fools who are out to corner the supply of 1877 Twenty Cent Pieces. Heritage and Stacks' just sold three of them for three to four times the previous high prices for coins that only graded PR-63 and 64 with no CAC stickers. The "corner the market strategy" seldom works for those who practice it.

1 hour ago, BillJones said:

I hope that guy loses his shirt to tell you the truth. The only people who benefit are those from whom he purchased the coins. He's like the hog in the pigpen who lays in the trough to keep the others from eating.

We have another couple of fools who are out to corner the supply of 1877 Twenty Cent Pieces. Heritage and Stacks' just sold three of them for three to four times the previous high prices for coins that only graded PR-63 and 64 with no CAC stickers. The "corner the market strategy" seldom works for those who practice it.

I agree 100%!!

The price of the 1913 matte proof buffalo nickel may be restrained by the availability of really nice ms66 and ms67 specimens at a reasonable price.