• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 $10 Liberty Coin should I have it graded?

4 posts in this topic

My daughter received an 1883 $10 Liberty coin from her great grandmother a few years ago and is trying to decide if she should sell it to put toward a car. Should I have it graded to see if it's worth anything? Their is an s marking on the back and it's in great condition. We have no clue about coins so any information would be appreciated! Thanks 

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

No, it definitely does not need to be graded. Its condition is pretty rough. When coins are in jewelry holders like that, it tends to damage the edges of the coin. The coin also shows lots of hairlines from being worn (which is fine - it was used and loved, and that's good). Numismatically speaking, the coin isn't really worth much to a collector. It would grade EF Details, ex-jewelry. 

However, the good news is that this coin still contains a good amount of gold, and so it is still quite valuable. Whether to sell it or not is up to you. 

The S on the reverse means that it was minted in San Francisco. 

I agree completely. Ex jewelry piece and worth bullion.  The bezel is also worth a few bucks. $600- $650 depending on where you go.