• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Error

2 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a coin to NGC what I believed was a close match to an advertised double die error product as displayed in one of the coin.com web-sites. I was saddened ( financially)   to learn my coin did not meet the criteria to sustain the listing as I had hoped. This was a valuable lesson as a relatively new coin collector. During the pre and post submittal process the NGC sales staff provided information and guidance I truly appreciate and intend to take advantage of. 

I was wondering if could  help me determine if the snapshot (attached) of a 1917 penny I own is in your opinion consideration of a double die error grade? I searched a few recognized internet coin web-sites and feel my coin would qualify for this grade. I found a coin in particular graded by PGS in one of the web-sites that was a exact match to my coin. I am still optimistic and ask for your help or guidance to give me the confidence to submit this coin. I understand looking at a picture if different than real-time, however a secondary exam from a knowledgeable source would help in my decision making.

Any help or consideration to my inquiry would be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks

Robert     

Front image.JPG

Rear image.JPG

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. I apologize for the delayed response. The double die attributions are considered varieties and must be examined by our experts in order to properly attribute them. The link below provides a detailed list of the varieties that we recognize. Unfortunately, the photo is not sufficient to make any recommendations on if this coin may contain a variety. We would need to see this coin in hand to make a determination.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/