• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Hat's Off

15 posts in this topic

To you members who have the patience to respond to posts like this:

"I found this thing, which looks sort of like a coin, in my grandma's couch and it looks like junk but it's older than my socks so I think it may be worth a lot of money and I don't want to get ripped off like the people who sell stuff to the people on Antiques Roadshow and even though I'm internet savvy enough to find this forum I'm too damned lazy to do even the most basic research using the tools available on this website and the others that I Googled 'cause that looks like work or worse, school, so please tell me that I'll have at least enough to skip work tomorrow and go to the ballgame with my slacker friends."

Am I being too harsh? Just having fun. And I really do respect those who take the time to respond to this sort of thing, one never knows when one might birth a new collector. You're born teachers and better people than me.

10 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

To you members who have the patience to respond to posts like this:

"I found this thing, which looks sort of like a coin, in my grandma's couch and it looks like junk but it's older than my socks so I think it may be worth a lot of money and I don't want to get ripped off like the people who sell stuff to the people on Antiques Roadshow and even though I'm internet savvy enough to find this forum I'm too damned lazy to do even the most basic research using the tools available on this website and the others that I Googled 'cause that looks like work or worse, school, so please tell me that I'll have at least enough to skip work tomorrow and go to the ballgame with my slacker friends.

And then they don't post an image.

Ever see the home advisor commercial where two guys are talking at a mailbox? One asks the other if he has any experience in such and such - the other says that he does. The guy then requests that the guy obtain estimates for him, schedule the service and basically conduct all of the work for him..

On the other hand, maybe he just didn't think about attaching the photo.  Always willing to help if its to educate rather than a quick means for a sale. But then, the OP has to be a dig at someone or some age group.

Um, I guess satire isn't my long suit. The "post" is an amalgam of different posts I have seen, exaggerated to try to add a bit of humor. Won't be trying that again soon.

My point was simply that there is a sea of information out there and anyone who can find this forum ought to at least do some basic research. I also genuinely respect those who are more patient with these folks than I. 

Many years ago when I would set up at shows I would be approached by non-collectors with $2 bills, crumpled star notes, beat up steelies, etc., etc. I always took the time to try to educate these folks and let them down easy. However, there is too much information available today to anyone who can demonstrably navigate the web for me to have the same level of patience - or maybe I'm just getting old.

OK: here's a REAL story... two coin shops "faced" each other across a street (one 5 stories above the other), fairly busy with traffic, an elongated city alley so to speak. The shops got along, no problem. Soooooo, on April 1st of a year very long ago, the 5th story shop had someone go upndown the street very early in the morning, dropping Brazilian 100 Cruzeiros notes and shiny 1943 pennies all over the place. At 9am when the storefront shop opened-hilarity ensued

here's another one; I will never forget this: a man walks into our shop, which was Est. in the 1930's, and come to the counter: He tells us that his father had just passed, and he bought a few coins from us, and he produces coin envelopes, about a dozen. All from the Sixties, and all with US Gold Coins-2 1/2s to Lib $20.00s, with prices accordingly penciled on them. This was when Gold prices were pretty high... I came up with 5K and my colleague was right there with me. So, we asked him what he wanted for the lot, and he stated, quite imperiously, that he wanted AT LEAST what was marked on the envelopes, not a penny less, because they had to have gone up in value, didn't they?
relax, we offered him the 5K; but it was pretty funny

This is the second time I've seen 'hilarity ensued'...and get the :roflmao:

As for the OP, nope that was funny and yes you must be getting old.  Expecting people to perform their own google-fu like that...the NERVE!

16 minutes ago, allmine said:

OK: here's a REAL story... two coin shops "faced" each other across a street (one 5 stories above the other), fairly busy with traffic, an elongated city alley so to speak. The shops got along, no problem. Soooooo, on April 1st of a year very long ago, the 5th story shop had someone go upndown the street very early in the morning, dropping Brazilian 100 Cruzeiros notes and shiny 1943 pennies all over the place. At 9am when the storefront shop opened-hilarity ensued

Did the two shops continue to get along?

one time, someone was let go from his position at a coin shop because of Gross Malfeasance,. "He" (not saying if it was a Man or Woman) spent the next Saturday combing through what would be today's 'Back Page' publication, making Dates with women of Questionable Repute, for the people who still worked in the shop. "He" would have the QR women call the shop at a specific time to confirm the date details. Every ten minutes.

1 hour ago, allmine said:

one time, someone was let go from his position at a coin shop because of Gross Malfeasance,. "He" (not saying if it was a Man or Woman) spent the next Saturday combing through what would be today's 'Back Page' publication, making Dates with women of Questionable Repute, for the people who still worked in the shop. "He" would have the QR women call the shop at a specific time to confirm the date details. Every ten minutes.

We used to have fun like that. It was funny back then. Today - some of the things we did - we'd be hanged at the gallows.