• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On-line users

26 posts in this topic

Just looked at the on-line users and saw 5 pages of guests and only one member - me.  We need more members.

I hope the NGC boards come back. I really do. 

I remember them in their hey-day, 5 or 6 years ago. It was an active, vibrant place with lots of members and lots of posts. It was never as active as other boards (the joke was that we were "Sleepy Hollow"), but it was a bustling metropolis compared to the ghost town it is today. 

It has been in a steady decline since then. Some members have passed on, some have left for other boards, some have left the hobby, some are fed up with NGC and their policies, some disliked the atmosphere of these boards..... there are a number of reasons for the decay, but I really hope that we can turn it around and start rebuilding. 

I hear ya Jason! We used to have some really good members with good info and a few laughs every now and then. My collecting slowed down the past couple years so I just jump in every now and then to see whats goin on. Hopefully it will change soon. Finally getting a house soon. 

Quite often guests are members that are just not logged in at that time.   It seems in general that many chat boards centered around hobbies that the younger generation is currently not interested in have seen declines in volume.

I check in every few days.  My visits here are becoming less and less frequent.  Lately it's the same 4 or 5 threads at the top with maybe one new reply each.

Unless something big happens, I don't see a reason for it to change anytime soon.

I am still checking in as well. Summer is an outside season so I don't see the population here getting any better till winter sets in. I was contacted on some coins for sale and I decided to read through the latest posts. Although we are few now, I hope that everyone is doing well.

Rick

I am still checking in as well. Summer is an outside season so I don't see the population here getting any better till winter sets in. I was contacted on some coins for sale and I decided to read through the latest posts. Although we are few now, I hope that everyone is doing well.

Rick

On 6/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

Quite often guests are members that are just not logged in at that time.   It seems in general that many chat boards centered around hobbies that the younger generation is currently not interested in have seen declines in volume.

I don't usually login unless I'm going to post something.  If just browsing, I don't bother logging in. 

Summer is slow. And it makes sense that all the members might be browsing without signing in. Anyway - happy 4th of July everyone. Enjoy the day.

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

And it makes sense that all the members might be browsing without signing in.

The number of browsers isn't the problem. It's the number of posters. You can have 25 thousand people reading it, but if there are only four or five posts a day, they aren't going to stick around and keep reading it. 

If there are so many people just browsing, how do we convert them into people posting, sharing, commenting, and participating? Because that is what makes for a vibrant community.... not just a bunch of watchers. 

I am still having trouble posting pictures over here. I can put up one, often two in a message, but beyond that nothing takes. It really discourages me from getting into any depth with anything.

With an apparent trend of third party hosters jacking prices/using a burdensome amount of ads (okay, by trend I mean photobucket which is now unveiling a plan where third party pix hosting will cost either $100 or $300/year which means a lot of broken links if they backdate that idea)...I think making it so we can do a direct upload here of sufficiently sized files would be a boost.  I post significantly fewer photos here vs. other sites I can think of .   Here I could upload more but I'd have to resize stuff.  As a matter of inertia it happens rarely.  Or, I link from elsewhere which is an extra step that doesn't seem as fruitful.

As for the guest list, I know my laptop browser periodically kicks me out and my tablet quicks me out Every Single Time.  Most of my views here are not logged in, as someone above notes it's not worth the time if I'm not adding a post.

It is a wee bit slower here but it beats the unnecessary snipping that can go on elsewhere.

On 6/30/2017 at 11:19 PM, bsshog40 said:

If I'm not mistaken, NGC's new software allows you to upload pics and it will resize them to fit. 

I'll have to try again.  I was under the impression there was a size limit and it wouldn't accept the uploads.  Let me try...this is a 5 MB+ file...

Normandie vertical.jpg

HOLY COW IT WORKED!  WooHoo!!   I must have been doing something wrong at the beginning (or the software might have been tweaked).  Thanks for making me take another look!  It's not quite as sharp, but certainly serviceable.

edited again..oops I forgot I was on the US forum.  Should have used a different file.  Oh well.

The picture inserter here is weird.... On many forums, you can drag the pictures into the text box and it will put them wherever your cursor is. 

Here, you have to drag the files to the little gray area where it says "drag files here to attach". It will only attach them if you drag them to the gray area - if you drop it in the text box (like on Cointalk), it won't work. 

After it has been attached, you can then insert the image into the post. 

4 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

The picture inserter here is weird.... On many forums, you can drag the pictures into the text box and it will put them wherever your cursor is. 

Here, you have to drag the files to the little gray area where it says "drag files here to attach". It will only attach them if you drag them to the gray area - if you drop it in the text box (like on Cointalk), it won't work. 

After it has been attached, you can then insert the image into the post. 

I use a samsung note for posting. I have no problems with uploading a pic. I press attach, it brings up my files, pic the pic, and it uploads. I presume that the procedure may vary depending on the individuals peticular device they are using. 

The perpetual scrolling and other fiddly-bits are a nuisance and discourage posting much. The "new" SW is wasteful and less business like in layout and interface. It might also be the desire of the hosts to cater more to me-phone and other toy computer users than others.  But, it is, as it is, and we users have no input in it.

Before I joined in late 2015; I viewed the boards probably for at least a year.  There seemed to be at least 15-20 regular posters who have moved on to different boards, or, stopped since then?  IDK- maybe more?  I thought the boards were pretty vibrant when I first joined; but, at that time, I wasn't aware of other chat boards, and their activity, so, I can't speak for poster presence.  It seems as if activity is picking up now?  Good!      

It could be that many viewers of these threads are just a bit intimidated by the degree of knowledge shared between posters, and, may feel that they may not be able to contribute?  At least I felt that way initially; with my Red Book level of understanding coins, with no coin show experience, and at that time I wasn't even a member of a coin club...Where was I? Pretty much confined to ebay, one B&M, pocket change, and Dad's spoils he moved on to me.  9_9  Wasn't aware of the auction sites, such as Heritage, Great Collections, and others.

Since I joined, my level of interest in coin collecting has increased dramatically, and I feel like an "expert" at my local coin club meetings even though I know I'm by far that consideration- at least I can contribute to a respectable degree in meetings.  Honestly; this coin forum, and others have increased my knowledge beyond what I thought possible before I joined.     

My suggestion to all those viewing, and not a member yet...., jump in and ask questions!  This will enhance your collecting experience, and others here, or, any chat forum will appreciate your enthusiasm; but, respect their answers, and don't take it personal if a bubble, or, two are burst.  Mistakes will be made in this hobby- but you'll be much better off for the wear if you learn from these encounters, and follow up with questions...no shame in making a mistake as long as you learn from it.  We have all been there, and to some degree will always.  

Many qualified teachers here you nameless viewers!  

Nicely said - I would love to see new members join and some of the older members come back. There is so much to learn and to pass on to younger members.  

I agree with Roger, this site has a lot of extra "stuff" to scroll past to get to the meat, it is also very slow to load pages (although it seems a little better than before) I too hope it picks up, So you lurkers, sign up and post away...... 

Is anyone else still having log-in issues?  I still have them every other day, and I cannot even use the site using some browsers anymore.  This will kill of traffic if it doesn't improve soon.  Not that anyone would care, but it is turning me away.

Why does this announcement box pop up every time I choose a forum topic. It stays up for a couple seconds then disappears.