• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Collecting

9 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2017 at 0:53 PM, cadence127 said:

Just puchased some more old coins. Is coin collecting a hobby or an addiction ? What do you all think? 

Yes.  Or a genetic disorder.  Pretty sure I have a dragon gene--must hoard shiny (or not), round, metal disks.

I thnk it's a mentality. I've always collected something throughout my life, from baseball cards, beer cans, coins, books, etc. I still have most of the remnants of all my collections. So, I guess that puts it somewhere in an addiction category?

I think it depends on the person.  Probably at least 50% of people have a predilection to collect something, anything.  That desire can run through a whole range of intensities from mild (these are kind of neat) through intense (must have them ALL, never satisfied, always seeking more).  I suspect the intensity may vary depending on what the person collects.  Some things just seem to "fit" the person better.  Have a bad fit and the intensity is low, have a good fit and it can be an addiction.  I'm an addict.

18 hours ago, cadence127 said:

Just more coins online . Another mercury dime now I have 3 of them.

Tell us a little more - are they highly graded, rare, what are your collecting plans?