• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting question in the Money Market Place

3 posts in this topic

I recently posted a sovereign for sale on the Money Market Place web-page. Someone who was unfamiliar with sovereigns asked for more information about them. This somewhat surprised me because I consider the sovereign the Chief coin of the world. First introduced in 1489, the modern version of it (1817 - along with the famous St. George design by Pistrucci) celebrated it's 200 year anniversary this year. I am glad that he asked the question.

I am considering writing a summary about the collectibility and history of the sovereign. The sovereign covers many Monarchs, has both (depending on year) the famous St. George and Shield reverse) and has many varieties. The Sovereign was minted in seven mints in five countries.  It is a fascinating coin with a very long and  distinguished history. 

Thoughts? This forum has been a little dead lately. A little life would be nice.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, Zebo said:

I recently posted a sovereign for sale on the Money Market Place web-page. Someone who was unfamiliar with sovereigns asked for more information about them. This somewhat surprised me because I consider the sovereign the Chief coin of the world. First introduced in 1489, the modern version of it (1817 - along with the famous St. George design by Pistrucci) celebrated it's 200 year anniversary this year. I am glad that he asked the question.

I am considering writing a summary about the collectibility and history of the sovereign. The sovereign covers many Monarchs, has both (depending on year) the famous St. George and Shield reverse) and has many varieties. The Sovereign was minted in seven mints in five countries.  It is a fascinating coin with a very long and  distinguished history. 

Thoughts? This forum has been a little dead lately. A little life would be nice.

I believe that most collectors don't know hardly anything about the coins outside their home market.  And even with US coinage, sine the variety is so large, probably not much even for US collectors.

It goes a long way toward explaining the home centric view of most collectors.

So yes, by all means do so.

It would be interesting (to me anyway!) and everyone has to start somewhere.  A newbie just might appreciate it.  If it's a bullion stacker, well they may also appreciate diversifying their hoard away from a purely US-centric stance.