• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Gold 1891CC worth grading

16 posts in this topic

Is this $5 gold 1891CC worth Grading. Im a silver woman not a Gold person. It appears to have very light scratching at 7,8,9 and 10 o'clock between the stars but otherwise it almost seems perfect

DSCN0032.JPG

DSCN0033.JPG

I will wait for others to respond, because there may be people more familiar with this series than me. I would say that coin actually looks *too* good, to the point where I question its authenticity. 

If it is real, that coin would probably grade MS-62 or 63, and would be worth $3k - $4k.

I would get this coin authenticated, from your photo the fields look to smooth, as Jason stated the coin looks too good. This would be something I would expect to see with an MS 64 – 65 coin . It is highly unlikely that a coin in that condition would be uncertified.

Is this coin a recent purchase? 

The coin was purchased from a well known Sydney Australia Dealer some years ago. I can guarantee the coin is authentic. My biggest concern is the rubbing or light scratches that can be seen on the coin. I think its an absolute ripper. The scratches are not from cleaning but wondering if it will cause problems when graded. The pic has not been touched up,this is how the coin looks in hand

6 hours ago, myworldcoins said:

The coin was purchased from a well known Sydney Australia Dealer some years ago. I can guarantee the coin is authentic. My biggest concern is the rubbing or light scratches that can be seen on the coin. I think its an absolute ripper. The scratches are not from cleaning but wondering if it will cause problems when graded. The pic has not been touched up,this is how the coin looks in hand

Send it in for grading. 

The rubs in the field between stars 1-5 are rather unusual, but I'd say you have an incredible coin! It definitely needs to be graded.

Sent this piece off  few days ago for grading. I think the whole process will take about a month or so. Im a long way from Florida

Will the coin be given a numeric number or will it come back as UNC details with the scratches  that are evident,any ideas?

Will certainly keep the boards informed when i know the grade

And thanks for the comments

35 minutes ago, myworldcoins said:

Will the coin be given a numeric number or will it come back as UNC details with the scratches  that are evident,any ideas?

If the coin is genuine, then those marks should not result in a details grade. It will lower the grade, of course, but they aren't really severe. 

If the coin is authentic the grading process should not result in a details grade based upon your pictures. Thirty days might be a bit optimistic given the distance and other factors. 

Let us know. 

Coin has arrived at NGC and awaiting grading. I opted for a 5 Business day grading so i may have something to report in a week. 

Interesting that a few discussions here have questioned the authenticity. Is it because it doesnt look right or is it just because the condition is so good

On 7/21/2017 at 7:25 AM, myworldcoins said:

Grade came in as MS62. I was hoping it may have graded a little higher

Those marks on the obverse are most likely why this one topped out at Ms62.  Regardless of the grade the coin is authentic and very attractive.