• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorry NGC, but you're better than this :(

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Baseball cards. 

Stamps. 

Not all marketing is good. Look where those hobbies are now. 

Mic picked up from Exo, and then dropped again. 

having a great laugh... we are NOT condoning it, just saying that some of us can see their (NGC's, etc.) point

Baseball Cards became victims of their own Success. The Bandwagon ain't that big, BUT: some card companies began including pieces of Uniform and Autographed cards randomly in packs to be sold. THAT reinvigorated the hobby.
Stamp Collecting is an Old Mans Hobby, now. The Internet ruined it.

LOL, I'll bet we all knew kids who did not react well to conflict.

Now pick that mic back up if you dare.  IMO, the discussion is not finished.  

2ohq5orbrh3u[1].gif

15 hours ago, Insider said:

Take a look at this big picture.  Joe Blow sees a signed slab of Snoopy the dog on Ebay.  Joe is a not  a collector but likes dogs.

Joe buys NGC "Snoopy" slab with genuine dog hair embedded in 2017 Proof Dollar from Niue.  Joe is introduced to both coins and NGC.  That's the Big Picture as I see it.   

And then later when they decide to check out the value of their "treasure " that they paid a significant premium for and discover they are worth bullion at best........

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

And then later when they decide to check out the value of their "treasure " that they paid a significant premium for and discover they are worth bullion at best........

and if we could all predict the Future, we wouldn't be wasting our Time here... G.O.A.T. TB12's autograph as a rookie 6th rounder out of Michigan wasn't worth 2 cents back then..

I like 'Pawn Stars' but having Rick Harrison's image and signature on a slab doesn't interest me. 

However, I am sure that it appeals to and sells well to a certain segment of the market. 

So, if it can improve NGC's bottom line, then I see no problem with it.  I just won't be buying one. 

I don't feel that it hurts or cheapens the hobby just as PCGS special slabs don't.  My 2c . 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, Conder101 said:

That is the nature of the business and you of all people should know that. :)

Now, how about calling the other top TPGS and getting back on their forum?  You are missed.

11 hours ago, t-arc said:

Lets start to have pictures of dinosaurs on the inserts.

most people like dinosaurs.

Shhh not so loud, they might hear you.  And there are a couple of kind of well known paleontologists out there that would gladly sign slab labels with pictures of dinosaurs on them.  And there are several countries that have coins with dinosaurs on them that could be put into the slabs.

35 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Shhh not so loud, they might hear you.  And there are a couple of kind of well known paleontologists out there that would gladly sign slab labels with pictures of dinosaurs on them.  And there are several countries that have coins with dinosaurs on them that could be put into the slabs.

Marketing Genius!!

Simply put...  NGC certification was "classy", adding the BS marketing is "trashy". Doesn't matter my personal opinion of these labels, there is still a distinct line that separates classy from trashy. Kind of like turning a Rolls Royce into a chromed out low rider. Some would like it, but it still ain't classy...

3 hours ago, Treeman said:

Simply put...  NGC certification was "classy", adding the BS marketing is "trashy". Doesn't matter my personal opinion of these labels, there is still a distinct line that separates classy from trashy. Kind of like turning a Rolls Royce into a chromed out low rider. Some would like it, but it still ain't classy...

and Whom, pray tell, is the Arbiter of All That Is Classy (or Trashy)?

On 6/23/2017 at 3:19 PM, MarkFeld said:

Thank you.

I'm curious as to how you feel about (baseball) athlete's autographs? Grading company personnel's autographs?

That would be a relevant question if Abe Lincoln were signing $5 bills. Not Rick Morrsison.

Didnt they have like 1 or 2 episodes total where coins were featured? He means as much to coins as MarkFeld's signature means on hockey sticks.

4 hours ago, mumu said:

That would be a relevant question if Abe Lincoln were signing $5 bills. Not Rick Morrsison.

Didnt they have like 1 or 2 episodes total where coins were featured? He means as much to coins as MarkFeld's signature means on hockey sticks.

it's Rick... Harrison
Pretzel Logic

On 6/23/2017 at 1:08 PM, MarkFeld said:

What types of label signatures do you feel aren't "too gimmicky" and don't "cheapen the company's brand"?

Exactly...100%!    I was just picturing a Pawn Stars actor's photo and signature on a GIA diamond grading cert and then just shook my head and chuckled.  

Has anyone here been around coins long enough to remember a well publicized letter from NGC many years ago stating something to the effect they would NOT be participating in the grading of "modern" post 1964 coins as they felt these otherwise common coins in super-grades would possibly lead to pricing far beyond their true value by unscrupulous individuals, and they were taking the 'high road'?   Well it looks like dollar signs somehow got in the way of NGC's altruistic values and company policies and today NGC will not only happily grade any modern coin but also colorized coins, bullion coins, Captain America coins from Fiji, 12 oz silver unicorn coins, coins in unopened boxes from the mint, etc, etc.  Now when you add in the myriad of silly special labels, early releases, retro holders, authenticating bullion coin rolls, plus grades, star grades, reconsideration services, and all the other nonsense, 3rd party grading IMO has lost virtually every shred of respect and credibility they once possessed and have become pretty much of a circus act.   

BTW.....I have scoured the internet many times in the past trying to find a copy of that NGC public letter from years back and cannot find it anywhere.  If anyone can locate a copy of it anywhere I'd love to see it again.  

15 minutes ago, dragon said:

Exactly...100%!    I was just picturing a Pawn Stars actor's photo and signature on a GIA diamond grading cert and then just shook my head and chuckled.  

Has anyone here been around coins long enough to remember a well publicized letter from NGC many years ago stating something to the effect they would NOT be participating in the grading of "modern" post 1964 coins as they felt these otherwise common coins in super-grades would possibly lead to pricing far beyond their true value by unscrupulous individuals, and they were taking the 'high road'?   Well it looks like dollar signs somehow got in the way of NGC's altruistic values and company policies and today NGC will not only happily grade any modern coin but also colorized coins, bullion coins, Captain America coins from Fiji, 12 oz silver unicorn coins, coins in unopened boxes from the mint, etc, etc.  Now when you add in the myriad of silly special labels, early releases, retro holders, authenticating bullion coin rolls, plus grades, star grades, reconsideration services, and all the other nonsense, 3rd party grading IMO has lost virtually every shred of respect and credibility they once possessed and have become pretty much of a circus act.   

BTW.....I have scoured the internet many times in the past trying to find a copy of that NGC public letter from years back and cannot find it anywhere.  If anyone can locate a copy of it anywhere I'd love to see it again.  

Marketing, pure& simple

10 hours ago, dragon said:

Brilliant! Can't wait to fill my collection with these! 

10 hours ago, dragon said:

Has anyone here been around coins long enough to remember a well publicized letter from NGC many years ago stating something to the effect they would NOT be participating in the grading of "modern" post 1964 coins as they felt these otherwise common coins in super-grades would possibly lead to pricing far beyond their true value by unscrupulous individuals, and they were taking the 'high road'?  

CAC said the same thing. As far as I know, CAC still doesn't sticker moderns. When is that going to change? 

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Brilliant! Can't wait to fill my collection with these! 

CAC said the same thing. As far as I know, CAC still doesn't sticker moderns. When is that going to change? 

My bet is that it won't.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:39 PM, dragon said:

It is well known that NGC originally decided not to certify moderns in the 1980s and into the 1990s. The market was not there. That was 30 years ago, and now there is a big market for modern coins; the mints themselves, have gotten into the business of gimmicky coins. There is no reason to bar certification of moderns, anymore.

<<< It is well known that NGC originally decided not to certify moderns in the 1980s and into the 1990s. The market was not there. That was 30 years ago, and now there is a big market for modern coins; the mints themselves, have gotten into the business of gimmicky coins. There is no reason to bar certification of moderns, anymore. >>>

Backwards logic IMO.   It was the grading services and their registry sets and MS70's and the hype that created the market for moderns to begin with.  

On 6/28/2017 at 9:15 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Baseball cards. 

Stamps. 

Got any Yo MTV Raps cards you wanna swap? I have an LL COOL J rookie card available.

7 hours ago, mumu said:

Got any Yo MTV Raps cards you wanna swap? I have an LL COOL J rookie card available.

7 hours ago, mumu said:

Baseball cards. 

Stamps. 

Apples and Oranges (if you guys have to keep dropping the Mic, please be careful with any coins you handle)