• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 Morgan (CC)

4 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone.  Newbie here.  I found this 1893 Morgan (Carson City).  Given the antiquing look to it ( sorry , first timer and I don't know the lingo) I would imagine that this is a cleaned (and not very thoroughly) coin? I have read on other forums that there is no value in a cleaned coin other than melt value.  I have seen some coins that are graded and indicated clean (i.e. AU-50 Cleaned).  Does this indicate the value has been reduced to AU because it is cleaned?  I'm interested in learning from your opinions.  Is this a melt value coin? Or a low grade coin?  Thanks in advance?

1893cc Morgan.jpg

1893cc Morgan back.jpg

You are right about it having been cleaned, but it looks genuine to me which is a big plus these days. My sharpness grade would be VG-7, but I don't think that it would get a straight grade if you sent it to our hosts.

"The Coin Dealer Newsletter" says that these coins in VG are worth $250. Even with the cleaning taken into account, the coin is worth quite a bit more than melt, which is about $16.

Bill,

Thank you for the information. I will sign up for that newsletter. This is what I was looking for, as I think it is a interesting coin and would hate to make the mistake that it's only worth melt considering it's a CC.

14 hours ago, TheOtherAdrian said:

Bill,

Thank you for the information. I will sign up for that newsletter. This is what I was looking for, as I think it is a interesting coin and would hate to make the mistake that it's only worth melt considering it's a CC.

The "Coin Dealer Newletter" is pretty expensive. They did have special programs where you could get their publication everyone month or so and not every week. I don't know if they still have that option.