• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1974D Eisenhower Error

14 posts in this topic

Hello I'm new to the site.  I have a 1974 D Eisenhower Dollar.  It appears to be a huge error coin.  There is an Eagle overstruck on the front of Eisenhower's face and below the Eagles Talons there appears to be some type of Olympic symbol that was struck lightly as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

I'd say we have a winner here folks!  Looks like a flip over double strike!

I was think along the same lines, but prefer to have an expert look at like Fred.

8 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I'd say we have a winner here folks!  Looks like a flip over double strike!

This coin is weird. I'm not ready to agree that it is a FODS, but it doesn't have the clear signs of counterfeits that I've seen before either. A FODS usually has at least one of it's strikes with full details. This coin looks like it is missing much of the detail from both "strikes." 

I do agree, however, that Fred Weinberg is the authority on all things error or faux-error, and is the best person to contact to tell you what's going on with this coin. 

For more on flip-over double strikes (FODS), look at a spectacular registry set specializing in them here: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/1967