• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updated tie breaking criteria being implemented today, June 14th, 2017

4 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The NGC Registry ranks sets first according to the set's score. If two or more sets have the same score, the NGC Registry will break the tie by ranking the sets based on the percentage of NGC-certified coins in the set. If two or more sets have the same score and the same percentage of NGC-certified coins, then the tie will be broken based on the percentage of coins with with imagesIf two or more sets have the same score, same percentage of NGC-certified coins and the same percentage of coins with images, then the tie will be broken based on the percentage of coins with descriptions.

To summarize, ranking is achieved by considering the following, in order:

1. Set Score
2. Percentage of NGC-certified coins
3. Percentage of coins with images
4. Percentage of coins with descriptions

If all of the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the rank was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set.

Awesome, just deleted a bunch of sets.  This has reaffirmed to me that I will not be completing any of my not completed US sets, so those are all going.

Haven't decided what to do about the sets that I was tied for first but am now loosing due to the tie breaker, which coincidentally,  I still haven't gotten my certificates from last December.  I may leave those sets on the registry in protest.

PS: I was buying both PCGS and NGC coins prior to the changes in January.

• Administrator

Thank you for the feedback. There is no address listed on your Collector Society account. Therefore, our team would not know where to send any certificate you may have earned. If you wish to email registry@ngccoin.com with your current address, we can send out any certificates you may have earned for 2016. Adding your current address to your CS account will ensure any certificates you may earn for 2017 will be sent out. Thank you.

I understand that you are no longer allowing the addition of PCGS graded coins to competitive sets, but it does not seem fair to penalize collectors for those PCGS coins which were allowed historically in the set. It is not that we chose PCGS over NGC. Sometimes a coin at the top grade was not available in the market as NGC certified. After all you allow a filter distinction between "All coins" and "NGC" coins in the registry database. The objective of the competition should be to encourage the assemblage of the best coins in a collection -- not just the ones that were graded by NGC.