• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's June 2017 LONG BEACH SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!

5 posts in this topic

The summer Long Beach show is usually slower and a little less attended by both dealers and the public than the winter and fall shows, and this one was no exception. Expos Unlimited/PCGS did their usual great job making sure all the dealers had what they needed, and even walked around the bourse floor asking if they could do anything for each of the dealers. For me (and all the other dealers who drive to the show), the only negative part of this show is the loading dock system. It is so slow and tedious and needs to be revamped. I can't really think of the right way to improve the process, but every year it just seems to take longer to actually get inside the bourse. Other than that, I love this show as it is very well run and one I look forward to the most!

By the way, the June Long Beach show typically doesn't have any major coin displays so this report will NOT be coin intensive but will mostly include photos in and around the bourse floor and Long Beach in general.

We've been having "June Gloom" so the weather in the morning is very overcast but it usually burns off around 11am.

2p2484fjk294.jpg

1192asjpb2mk.jpg

I got to the loading dock at 10:30 am (1 1/2 hours before the bourse opened for set up) and was 18th in the line of cars waiting to unload. The first car in line had been there since 8:30 am!

Rather than wait forever to be let up to the loading dock, I decided to park the car in the temporary lot right next to the ramp, unload, and with the help of my booth buddy Rich, we pushed my cart up the ramp to the loading door, then moved my car to the regular parking lot. This way, I was able to enter the bourse floor right when it opened. Since I only had one load, this was a much better solution for me than waiting in line for hours.

n6yfzq42gj1u.jpg

With the help of my boothmates, Rich and Roger, I got set up pretty quickly.

zdlq0u229ghp.jpg

Then the buying began! I found several great pennies on Wednesday and throughout the week to add to my inventory, including a beautifully emerald green toned 1911 Matte Proof Lincoln.

3izvto1qjh33.jpg

cb063av9ix6c.jpg

wsvij1j020xb.jpg

I also bought this very cute Indian cent teapot that came with this copper case for my personal collection. The teapot has the tiniest lid of any of my teapots!

hb5bxqpfinwf.jpg

w8k1meq9yrop.jpg

As usual, PCGS sponsored beer and taquitos for all the dealers on set up day, and also as usual, they were a big hit! This is my friend Matt Chapman.

exe5m74t2cna.jpg

kbz860qhyehh.jpg

After set up day ended, we went to our usual Wednesday night restaurant, Cafe Piccolo's, with the usual gang: my booth buddy Rich, Karl and Joanne Stephens and Ron Guth (PCGS), and had some great wines.

sqc8ys3ruupn.jpg

h0yzwjqimb9l.jpg

kgrkdqp7w6yk.jpg

8e5q47rkrdq8.jpg

Thursday had pretty good public attendance and I was busy with some decent sales throughout the day.

1gcl7vcij8sp.jpg

By early afternoon, it slowed down so I was able to walk the floor some more. Afterwards, we opened this bottle of Barbed Wire wine that one of my customers gave me.

vrv8480ohkd0.jpg

After the show we went to the usual Thursday night place, Naple's Ribs, along with a great group of other dealers.

2i6xpbt3i3qb.jpg

u8r3zcoufimg.jpg

27kuo12rek5x.jpg

ijw2vqn6vzqp.jpg

xszwbrawm4k9.jpg

m9sbh2rgc39x.jpg

x1hktflhksz9.jpg

I always order the combo platter because my hubby would be very disappointed if I didn't save some of these delicious ribs for him!

jqbyfd253wn7.jpg

On Friday I had decided to stay overnight in Long Beach rather than drive home like I usually do because I had received a notice from Hyatt that if I didn't use my points within the next two months, I would lose them. So I used some of the points for one night at the Hyatt in Long Beach. So on Friday morning I went straight to the Hyatt and parked my car there. I arrived at 9am and decided to pre-check in so I could leave my overnight bag at the bell desk and just pick up my room keys later that night. When I was giving the clerk my info, the guy next to me who was checking in with another clerk, was loudly talking on his cell phone while his clerk was trying to check him in. I scowled at him but he didn't even notice, so I commented to my clerk that that guy was extremely rude. She got a big grin on her face and completely agreed with me. I also stated that he was being very disrespectful to the poor clerk who had to wait for him to finish his phone conversation so she could complete his check in. She grinned again and said, because I was so nice to her, that she would find an available room for me even though it was only 9am, and even gave me one facing the harbor! She also said she was giving me a complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning. I was so surprised by her generosity. She said she really appreciated my comments because she wasn't allowed to say anything herself. I told her I only said what she was thinking and she laughed!

The Hyatt in Long Beach is a beautiful hotel!

j7aygsw8snw4.jpg

st32jg7cmtmz.jpg

So I went up to my room and immediately saw my beautiful view of the Long Beach Harbor. Luckily, Friday there was no June Gloom and my view was fantastic! These two photos are taken from my window.

jesc4uxng52l.jpg

t4yah0zbk0mf.jpg

This photo was taken from the elevator lobby window on my floor.

leql6z9ng0ef.jpg

These were taken from the walkway between the Hyatt and the convention center.

cwhdvio8cwev.jpg

sraejbkcf3ca.jpg

The front of the beautiful convention center!

epkywj9gjaob.jpg

qrpmxxcga3th.jpg

Inside the front of the convention center

i11c9uw0wodu.jpg

q60pegd96l6p.jpg

Right inside the bourse floor are these wonderful Expo folks, eager and willing to help you with whatever you may need!

ez117r335seg.jpg

Friday morning was busy, but it seemed to die down pretty early. But I did manage to pick up this fantastic toned Cameo 1878 Indian cent with gorgeous vibrant magenta and rainbow toning!

stcqkw9fs1q5.jpg

plx3c39023cb.jpg

2xkg2npfsjoz.jpg

In the afternoon we opened this wonderful bottle of Oso Libre Zinfandel that Rich brought for us to share. It was wonderful!

wl6zsujx2hjq.jpg

After the show on Friday, a group of us went across to harbor for dinner. These are some photos taken on the walkway from the convention center to the harbor. As you can see it was another beautiful evening in Southern California!

77on4sykxijt.jpg

f532xwdau3hh.jpg

2b802e5yhxhe.jpg

u149a0c2cm8o.jpg

erdfahbslpnk.jpg

h29x1riyyy52.jpg

We decided to have dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant, PF Changs. We had dinner outside on the patio and really enjoyed the warm weather. I decided to have one of their tasty Mai Tais!

dla11i7f5aoz.jpg

My favorite appetizers: pot stickers and spring rolls!

qn7iiu9ldjqk.jpg

2xff1ofsfrj3.jpg

Me and my posse!

gjl4bbz85njf.jpg

ny3gacxwv5to.jpg

okuqn3jchoc6.jpg

The night life at the Long Beach Harbor area!

h79t9zk720cu.jpg

Since I wasn't driving home this time, we headed over to the dueling piano bar right near the harbor, Sergeant Pepper's. We had a great time!

kgf9lsa9tb8j.jpg

83kcxdpfi5hz.jpg

zt7vsouz9ctp.jpg

fj18o7i60za7.jpg

"Let's do the Time Warp Again!"

7dae6qe4hfeh.jpg

When I got back to my room, I took a picture of the beautiful view of the harbor at night!

uhi7occa790o.jpg

On Saturday, it was pretty slow for most of the day, with a lot of people looking but not much in sales. I did sell a nice original 1909-S vdb in low grade to a collector who needed that last coin to finish his Lincoln set. I am always honored to be the one to help a collector find that last coin to complete their set!

I also prepared a lot of raw coins for submission at PCGS, along with a few crossovers. That took up most of my Saturday morning.

d8hu7spmys2t.jpg

Soon, once again, it was time to pack up and head home. That's always the hardest part, but it was great to get home and relax. On the way home, I made a quick stop at my p.o. box to pick up my mail. I was very pleased to find these scarce pie cutters with handles in my box that I had bought on eBay. Once is a Canadian large cent and one is an Indian cent! It's very hard to find large cent pie cutters with the handles, much less Canadian large cents and, even harder, Indian cents!

9cdvlje2dany.jpg

56dlsee6ohlv.jpg

qn4k8777fkl1.jpg

gpyrml0q0w4g.jpg

When I got home, even though my hubby was away on the pit crew of a race, my little fatty Penny was there waiting for me!

bwa630mfwhbq.jpg

Next up: ANA Summer Seminar in 2 weeks, then the San Diego Coinaram, and the Fremont Coin Show next month!

Nice report.

Like the novelty items you collect.

The neat thing about collectors is they have discriminating eyes for old things,

and become conservators of the past,

culling the best of the best for future generations to ponder.