• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 V.D.B. Lincoln matte proof possibility?!

15 posts in this topic

Please tell me I own a Matte Propf 1909 vdb Lincoln!!!! I'd sleep better if I got to the bottom of this. The more I research the more confused I am on convincing myself this could be the real deal. Also besides the commonly known diagnostics...is there anything valid on claims with the spacing of the periods between the V.D.B. for the s version regular, the regular business strike vdb and the proof vdb 1909's. If so then that would certainly make mine a proof right?!!!!!! It's a non "s" 1909 vdb with the period centered between the D and B and more to the left for the period after the V just like all the confirmed proofs found to date! Right! Helpppppppppp! I'm dying to know. 

Thanks,

matt l.  

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0645.PNG

IMG_0646.PNG

IMG_0647.PNG

IMG_0648.PNG

IMG_0659.PNG

I do believe all the Matte proofs have the period centered between the D and B but so do a lot of the business strikes. So that is more an exclusion diagnostic.  If it isn't centered it isn't but if it is centered that doesn't make it one.  I agree with Mark I don't see this as a proof at all.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/608346/1909-vdb-the-first-matte-proof-lincoln-die-diagnostics-informational-thread

Informational thread from ATS, since you own the coin, you can loupe it for these diagnostics. 

Welcome to the forum!  It appears to be nicely struck but I'd agree with others because of the rims that it's not a proof.  Nice coin though.  

On 6/9/2017 at 10:11 PM, M_Levin said:

Please tell me I own a Matte Propf 1909 vdb Lincoln!!!! I'd sleep better if I got to the bottom of this. The more I research the more confused I am on convincing myself this could be the real deal. Also besides the commonly known diagnostics...is there anything valid on claims with the spacing of the periods between the V.D.B. for the s version regular, the regular business strike vdb and the proof vdb 1909's. If so then that would certainly make mine a proof right?!!!!!! It's a non "s" 1909 vdb with the period centered between the D and B and more to the left for the period after the V just like all the confirmed proofs found to date! Right! Helpppppppppp! I'm dying to know. 

Thanks,

matt l.  

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0645.PNG

IMG_0646.PNG

IMG_0647.PNG

IMG_0648.PNG

IMG_0659.PNG

If i may add allso thier must be a crescent shape die chip the right of the M unum on the v.d.b. only.