• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to use this new forum?

21 posts in this topic

Yeah, I had the same question. Apparently, if you click the tiny little circle to the left of the title, it will bring you to the first unread post. Completely un-intuitive, and absolutely un-user-friendly... this new redesign is awful. 

Is anyone else having ridiculously slow load speeds here? It takes 10 or more seconds to load a page, and several times a day I get an error message that the entire website is offline. 

Around Memorial weekend, I could not log on for 4 whole days. The star * to the left of the title will take you to the first unread post. 

Except for photo posting, much of the "new" version is a step or two backward. I notice that posts-per-day and the number of posters is way down.

This version also seems "cranky and slow" depending on the browser in use.

10 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Around Memorial weekend, I could not log on for 4 whole days.

Yes! Same here. Honestly, I've been posting a lot more on Cointalk lately. Vastly superior website; many, many more people; much more activity. I'm finding less and less reason to come to this website. 

8 hours ago, RWB said:

Except for photo posting, much of the "new" version is a step or two backward. I notice that posts-per-day and the number of posters is way down.

This version also seems "cranky and slow" depending on the browser in use.

It's hard to read posts when the website won't load. 

I suspect that when the website changed, a lot of people couldn't find the new website and just gave up. 

The only reason I keep coming back here is because there are a handful of posters who live here, and nowhere else. Their knowledge is too valuable... but even they are posting less frequently. 

Between the poor decisions NGC has made as a company, and the awful website, how much longer are these forums going to last? 

4 months on loading this new site and they are still fighting it. I was error-ed out for 2 months and finally got back in this week.

It seems like a challenge just to hang out around here. lol

It is a source of both amusement and frustration that companies and governments using IT services do not approach changes in a logical and cost-effective manner. They seem to listen to the ignorant MBAs and marketing types, few of whom have meaningful credentials in system engineering and/or IT management.

In several instances I've advised companies on how to migrate, upgrade, and introduce new IT produces/services -- including cost savings from doing it right -- and been shot down by short-term thinking and seat-of-the-pants decisions. [Ooops -- the cuckoo is flying over my nest again as I type....must be coffee time.]

• Administrator
18 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

@Architecht

Just wanted to make sure you saw that this problem is universal - it's not just me. 

Hi,

Yes, I saw this, and am tracking the conversation. I have a ticket filed with the host over the performance issue, and have created some in-depth monitoring to look for slow downs. Here is what I have seen of this behavior so far:

1. The automated monitoring isn't always showing the issue you are referring to because it loads pages as a"guest" (i.e. not logged in). The content is cached for guests to reduce load on the system (for about 5 minutes) - and so those pages have been loading faster.
  2. As a logged in user, I've seen that loading a page like the U.S. Coins forum has a long delay when you load it for the first time in a while, but that it's fast when you re-load it again. However, if you wait a bit (like waiting for new content to be posted) and refresh it again it's back to slow. I assume some query results are being cached and then uncached when they are unused for long enough.

I've made some caching adjustments on how images are loaded to cut some load time - but that isn't the core of the issue. The core of the issue seems to be related to database queries. I've filed a ticket with the boards host / software maker. One thing we did was update the boards software itself, which does seem to have cut down on some generic slow downs, but not solved the regular slowing of the U.S. Coins page load. Our host is also planning to upgrade the version of PHP running the servers, which they think will have an impact.

Once those known steps have been taken, I'll push them on the issue if the performance hasn't improved.

IT issues aside, in the US Coin Forum, readership is down, new threads are down, comments are down, somewhere along the transition people got tired of trying to figure out how to log in and just gave up. Every now and then we get a new poster, they ask a question or wish to share something never to be heard from again. Arch, this place is dying on the vine. We need an infusion.

3 hours ago, Architecht said:

Hi,

Yes, I saw this, and am tracking the conversation. I have a ticket filed with the host over the performance issue, and have created some in-depth monitoring to look for slow downs. Here is what I have seen of this behavior so far:

1. The automated monitoring isn't always showing the issue you are referring to because it loads pages as a"guest" (i.e. not logged in). The content is cached for guests to reduce load on the system (for about 5 minutes) - and so those pages have been loading faster.
  2. As a logged in user, I've seen that loading a page like the U.S. Coins forum has a long delay when you load it for the first time in a while, but that it's fast when you re-load it again. However, if you wait a bit (like waiting for new content to be posted) and refresh it again it's back to slow. I assume some query results are being cached and then uncached when they are unused for long enough.

I've made some caching adjustments on how images are loaded to cut some load time - but that isn't the core of the issue. The core of the issue seems to be related to database queries. I've filed a ticket with the boards host / software maker. One thing we did was update the boards software itself, which does seem to have cut down on some generic slow downs, but not solved the regular slowing of the U.S. Coins page load. Our host is also planning to upgrade the version of PHP running the servers, which they think will have an impact.

Once those known steps have been taken, I'll push them on the issue if the performance hasn't improved.

I am glad that you are attempting to fix the problem. 

A couple of clarifications: the issue is not limited to the US Coins forum. Every single forum and subforum on this site is afflicted. 

As a logged in user, I've seen that loading a page like the U.S. Coins forum has a long delay when you load it for the first time in a while, but that it's fast when you re-load it again. However, if you wait a bit (like waiting for new content to be posted) and refresh it again it's back to slow.

You may have fancy diagnostics, but this has not been my experience. I just tried what you said - loaded the forum (took about 3 seconds), and then hit refresh 10 seconds later. The second load was no faster (right around 4 seconds). I tried it again, a little slower (around 8 seconds this time). I tried it a fourth time, just to try and see if I could reproduce your result.... and it took 22 seconds to load the page. 

7 hours ago, Architecht said:

Hi,

Well --- I for one wish you the best of luck !! 

It has been a rough ride since January and I don't see it getting in the "top pop zone" soon! lol

Still -------  I miss the REAL ---- NGC!! :(

The new programs that were paid for by NGC is definitely not working!!  You really need to step back a couple years and be the GREAT company that you "WERE" .  Trying to repair the problem that has occurred is just killing the situation that needs to be deleted altogether.

Invite PCGS graded coins back and go back to the old way of member page communicating where we feel like we are friendly!!

When NGC kicked out FRIENDS --- You ended up ---(With No Friends!!)

Get Real --- Think about it!! :)

Six Mile Rick :)

Oh --- Excuse me ---- 4 years ago or so you changed my FRIENDS list to FOLLOWERS list????  

THEY ARE MY FRIENDS???   THAT WAS ----  Your first mistake in my book!!! And now you even managed to DELETE that followers list from my member page???   I really don't care about the PCGS coins not to be listed. We are all friends here and NGC somehow has deleted that altogether. Good Luck!

NGC has spent the last 7 years trying to get bigger  ----  they have only broken up the community trust as far as I can see.  We just want to collect coins and be friends --- no matter what the coin is holstered in. lol

Best of Luck!!

Rick

On 6/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Yeah, I had the same question. Apparently, if you click the tiny little circle to the left of the title, it will bring you to the first unread post.

Glad I asked.  I could have used the forum for years without stumbling on that.  Thanks, physics-fan.

We lost a lot of members here. The site changed. Policy changed. Too much bad news for folks just wanting to have fun. I'm glad to see that a few friends still post here.

7 minutes ago, ldhair said:

We lost a lot of members here. The site changed. Policy changed. Too much bad news for folks just wanting to have fun. I'm glad to see that a few friends still post here.

I'm still here Larry! lol  

55 minutes ago, RWB said:

Th "upgrade" seems adequately summarized by this statement from physics-fan3.14:

"Every single forum and subforum on this site is afflicted."

Meaning the members who are left?

The board SW is, itself, afflicted -- not the remaining members who are trying to communicate and share knowledge.

Long ago and far away, I was a newly-minted corporate VP who was given the task of saving my boss' hide. He had accepted a fixed price government contract to completely convert an "ancient" but critical data system to the latest technology. The system was in constant use by military, civil and commercial entities. Any errors or inaccuracies would have been very costly and possibly life-threatening for aviation and maritime users.

The team was divided into two groups: technical and operational. (Today it would be called "agile development" of a sort. We just thought of it as getting the job done right the first time.) The operational team took apart the existing system functionality, calculations, data sources, system interfaces and user interfaces. everything was prepared as "use-cases" right down to keyboard strokes and system responses. The technical team developed analogous functions for all pieces of the old technology and cross tested using archived system data. (A technical prototype....)

Almost 65% of the time budget went to operations, documentation and training. The balance was coding, testing and implementation. The result was that operations mimicked existing processes, new processes were all within the same user interface framework as existing ones, and the technical specifications flowed smoothly into development and testing. There were no surprises - everyone knew exactly what to do and what to expect. As each function and its set of use-cases was tested, any problems were quickly corrected. In the end, acceptance was a breeze with only a few Level 5 (trivial cosmetic) 'system error articles', training was so easy that the customer cut it short by 50%; full acceptance, immediate integration and change-over for the customer was seamless. The boss was happy because we used only 75% of the cash budget - leaving him with a tidy extra profit. (Over $1mm - be we chickens didn't see much of it - everyone got a Christmas ham or beef roast certificate.  :) )

The point of this anecdote - directed to NGC - is that by putting time and resources into understanding the product, you will save money and agony in the end. Your system will not be "afflicted."