• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake or real? Reliable on line retailers - sellers of ancient coins

3 posts in this topic

Dear Collectors and colleagues, 

After a break I am returning to collecting again and branching out into ancient coins. I'd like to ask you all how can we tell if an on line retailer is selling the real thing or not, even if they appear to say the right things on their web sites?  I live in th UK but am reluctant to purchase because of doubts I have related to authenticity. 

Has any one ever dealt with Par Coins / VCoins? Please can anyone help by saying if they know of this seller and if they are credible within the NGC community. 

Can any of you vouch for or recommend on line brokers or seller I could go to who are credible and reliable?

Id really like to hear from you and ardently seek your advice an der recommendations (or not) in regards to the sellers I've named and who you would say isn't out to make a fast buck from collectors.

Many thanks 

Novak

I don't buy any ancients but do look at them occasionally.  You can take a look at Harlen J Berk and Civitas Galleries.  Both sell ungraded coins.  Atlas Numismatics and Aspen Park Rare Coins also sell a limited selection but their inventory is more expensive.  They both sell higher quality and in my opinion, also charge a (noticeable) premium over what a (roughly) equivalent coin can be bought from elsewhere, though they also sell coins that I don't see often anywhere else.