• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about 1894-A Neu Guinea 2 Mark w/ pictures

13 posts in this topic

I am not into the foreign coins, so I want to ask you guys about the coin that I had. I have pretty many Prussia coins and few others that I am able to find an information from Google except for 1 coin, it's 1894-A Neu Guinea 2 Mark. Any of you knows about this coin and value? It actually looking more of proof than uncirculated (maybe proof-like) in hand. I only know more about the American coins than the foreign coins, so please help! Thanks!

IMG_20170529_211538.thumb.jpg.682161bb13f5753b769eda06349cafe0.jpgIMG_20170529_211513.thumb.jpg.6540f486072776e4fd0b4a56073664ab.jpg

German New Guinea.  They issued 9 coins 1 Pfennig, 2 Pfennig, and 10 Pfennig in bronze, 1/2 Mark. 1 Mark, 2 Mark, and 5 Mark in silver, 10 and 20 mark in gold.  All dated 1894 A. This was the only coinage issue for the country. All of them are tough to obtain with the 1 and 2 pfennig being the easiest.  Frome the 10 pfennig up they all show the bird of paradise.  Mintage for the 2 Mark was 13,000.   My catalog is several years old, it show the 2 Mark at $950 in Unc and $475 in XF.  It may just be the images but your coin does not appear to be UNC.  The 5 mark is considered to be one of the worlds most beautiful coins.  The 2 mark is the only piece in the set that I do not have (I don't collect gold).

Thank you for help! I find it quite odd because the mintage for the 2 Mark was 13,000 and I have 1 proof South Africa 5 Shillings that was mintage 1,200. It's $40 for proof. That's quite interesting. 

A lot more people looking for the GNG 2 mark than the SA proof shilling.  Also consider survival rates.  Probably most of the shillings still survive, while most of the 2 mark pieces don't

I submitted the 1894-A German State New Guinea 2 Mark to NGC 2 months ago, and it arrived here today at MS-64. It took longer because NGC asked if I want to send it to NCS, and I rejected because I don't know if it may be a proof, PL, or regular coin. Then they moved it to other tier and submission which it postponed the shipping. I'm quite glad that it comes back as MS64 because I actually thought it would go for AU58 or MS60.

Fantastic coin and great find!  I purchased a 2 Mark and 1 Mark last week in auction.  Can't wait to submit.  I'm anticipating AU 55-58 on both.  Hoping for a surprise to the upside.  I doubt I'll see a 64 though.  

Thank you for kindness words! I haven't took the picture of it for a while until now. I was hoped that it may would get a PL or star designation because it does have nearly or completely proof-like field in hand.

IMG_20180919_195647.thumb.jpg.aea3e9b73bb0cf9a1418adb5d918ecf1.jpg