• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which VDB do you prefer?

6 posts in this topic

Well, heck, after building a bunch of toner Washington and Franklin Danscos, it seems appropriate to build some other albums, including a toner Lincoln Dansco.  I must say, I do enjoy the toning that Lincolns can pick up over time.  One of the nice things about coin collecting is that you get to make the decisions about how you're going to put together your collection.  I'm not particularly motivated to get every Lincoln date and mm, but do plan on getting at least one coin from every year for the Wheaties.  At this point I'm just getting Memorial cents up through 1982.  At one point in the past I owned a (rattler) MS64RB 1909-S VDB, so I'm not particularly feeling the need to get a raw one now.  I've got two P mint VDB's, so I'll just stick the extra one in the '09-S VDB slot.  Just wondering, which of these two VDB's do you prefer, or do you like/dislike them both?  I like them both, but lean towards one, and will put it in the P VDB slot.  The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1909VDB_rLI1o2t.jpg

bc1909VDB_rLI1r5t.jpg

bc1909VDB_rLI2o6t.jpg

bc1909VDB_rLI2r1t.jpg

I'll be honest, I'm not personally a fan of the woodgrain look. It is streaky and unattractive to me. I know a lot of people like them though, so what really matters is what you like. I personally would pass on both of these. 

Both are nice coins, but there are so many raw and stunning toned VDB's out there for no money, I would be pickier. If you want to choose between the two, the first hands-down.  If you stick to a year set, you should be able to put a really nice well-matched toned set together, although the 22d will be tougher to match. Sounds like fun, I may try one myself, tiring of slabs.

9 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I'll be honest, I'm not personally a fan of the woodgrain look. It is streaky and unattractive to me. I know a lot of people like them though, so what really matters is what you like. I personally would pass on both of these. 

This!

I would have picked the second one had it not been what looks like rub in Abe's locks, so I guess it's neither because number one has a blotchy obverse. I guess I'm too picky, but you did ask.