Real?? Silver dollars 1890, 1904, 1921, 1922

7 posts in this topic

2 posts

I am interested in buying these coins. Here are the pictures that seller sent me. How should I test them when I see thwm in person? Thanks!!!!

IMG_8723.JPG

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8725.JPG

IMG_8726.JPG

IMG_8727.JPG

12,796 posts

Welcome to the forum.

Based on the images, they appear to be genuine. However, if you don't know enough about them to be able to tell for yourself when you have them in hand, you shouldn't buy them. 

24,958 posts

You could use this handy trick: take a Kleenex and cover the silver dollar and you will see the coin through the Kleenex...now do the same thing with a clad (post 1964) quarter and look at the difference. This is for real as it will tell you the coins are 90% silver.

14,836 posts
On 5/16/2017 at 6:21 PM, WoodenJefferson said:

You could use this handy trick: take a Kleenex and cover the silver dollar and you will see the coin through the Kleenex...now do the same thing with a clad (post 1964) quarter and look at the difference. This is for real as it will tell you the coins are 90% silver.

This method will only tell you if the metal is silver. Most modern counterfeits are made using silver planchets, and would pass this test (but would still be fake). 

However, to the OP, the coins posted appear genuine from the photographs. I don't see any red flags. 

10,737 posts

Most modern counterfeits are made using silver planchets, and would pass this test (but would still be fake). 

A large number of the Chinese counterfeits, especially the ones were were copies of common date Morgan Dollars, were not made of silver. They were made to look like circulated  silver.