• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 S Silver Eagle question

10 posts in this topic

Hi there everyone.

My first post here on this forum.

I was simply wondering if anyone knows the reason the 2017 S silver Eagle in PF 70 is trading at over  $245 US?

Seems to be a little steep for a brand new coin?

I am fairly new to coin collecting, I love the Eagles and the Morgans but especially the Morgans :)

Thanks for any opinions or facts.

It is the ASE in the 2017 Congratulations sets that sold out in under 2 minutes at the US mint. The issue price was under $60, but now they are getting $150-ish for them raw, and as you noted they are getting crazy money for them graded at 70. There will be another S coin released later this year, so if I were in the market I would wait.

And Welcome to the forum.:grin:

Beware of the PF 70 label. They are not necessarily perfect. Some 69 graded coins are also near perfect as are most in mint packaging.

I'm not happy with the Mint over this issue. It was a slap in the face to those that have collected the series from the start of the program.

The "other" S coin is only going to be released as part of the limited edition silver proof set.  And take it from me, someone who just tried to find a graded example from the 2016 limited edition set, they will be harder to find than the congratulation set proof.  Plus, I am hearing they are limiting the LE silver proof sets to 50,000 sets.  People have to send in the entire set to get graded.  You can't just send in the eagle.  So they tend to keep them together as a set.

My advice is if you collect them, get one as soon as you can.  But that's just me.

On 5/15/2017 at 7:21 AM, ldhair said:

I'm not happy with the Mint over this issue. It was a slap in the face to those that have collected the series from the start of the program.

Aren't you used to it yet?  First slap was the 1995 W proof.  Then the TPG's did some slapping with the First strike/early release labels, then all the custom labels, the imaginary mintmark labels. and now the Mint gets in another slap with all the special sets and different finishes, and now the 2017 S proofs.  I think silver eagle collectors have a masochistic streak in them.  They seem to line up to be slapped.  "Please sir, may I have another?"

Personally, I like the United States Mint.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:06 PM, Conder101 said:

Aren't you used to it yet?  First slap was the 1995 W proof.  Then the TPG's did some slapping with the First strike/early release labels, then all the custom labels, the imaginary mintmark labels. and now the Mint gets in another slap with all the special sets and different finishes, and now the 2017 S proofs.  I think silver eagle collectors have a masochistic streak in them.  They seem to line up to be slapped.  "Please sir, may I have another?"

There is nothing wrong with the US Mint as long as you understand that they are looking out for themselves first and foremost, not the collector.  And that they really don't understand marketing to the collector market.  Keep that in mind and plan accordingly.

Is it not true that the many are only looking out for themselves, caring little for anyone else? The collector delves upon what they can acquire as to reap a profit, "Just like the U.S. Mint". Not any can fault a government institution; a business at that to produce the most profit accordingly. People who collect coins are the same while trying to outsmart those that have founded the U.S. Mint. We keep everything in mind for future reference but certainly we have no qualms with the U.S. Mint, none. Thank you very much.