• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this coin? 1974 penny, sticks to magnets?

24 posts in this topic

How much does it weigh?  It may have been struck on a planchet intended for a foreign coin.  I'm not sure if the US Mint was striking coins for a foreign country as they have done in the past.

How strong is the attraction?  Does the coin "jump" to the magnet, or is it just enough to hold it there?  Since it is silver in color I assume the attraction is slight.

I for one would like to see the 74 cent on top of the other cent. It just appears to have a smaller O.D. but that might be an illusion due to the rims. I have a feeling this was some sort of token where the copper plating has come off or removed, I've seen some charms banks, savings and loans handed out, some with a slogans like "A penny saved..." etc. but the cents were facsimiles of real cents.

11 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

If the copper was removed from this cent, wouldn't be very thin? I mean, it's 95% copper. 

My supposition is, that this look-a-like cent has some ferrous attractions to the magnet, possibly for a magic trick or a bank token where the cent was pressed into a slogan ring, IE, but the thin copper plating to make it appear as a real cent has been removed by whatever process. In other words, it's not a real Mint made cent of 95% copper, it's a fake cent.

A 1974 Aluminum cent would not be attracted to a magnet, right?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Mint also made bronze-clad steel cents with that date in testing an alternative to the traditional bronze composition. These are the lesser known cousins to the 1974 aluminum cents. A specimen submitted to Coin World in 1994 weighed 2.77 grams and had a specific gravity of 7.9142. Obviously, these coins are attracted to a magnet.

In answer to the question above, aluminum cents are not drawn to a magnet, as they are non-ferrous.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry I wasn't back sooner.  I only have a food scale, it is digital, it says it weighs 3 grams. As far as sticking to it, I will have to retry it to the magnet. Here is a photo of the back of it. 

IMG_0044.JPG

Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry I wasn't back sooner.  I only have a food scale, it is digital, it says it weighs 3 grams. As far as sticking to it, I will have to retry it to the magnet. Here is a photo of the back of it and on top of each other, and next to each other. It was getting a clear photo close up with them on top of each other. Sorry if it is too blurry 

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Thank you for putting up more images of this unusual cent...I shall ponder this more, because ut has some really wide rims.

On the obv rim from 8:00 to 11:30 it looks like the copper is coming through.  I predict attraction will be slight and the coin is nickel plated.  (Nickel is highly magnetic, but the small amount in the plating means there just isn't enough material for the magnet to get a strong attraction.)

If the experts who viewed your coin in this post cannot conclusively say it was mint made, then it has to be a post-mint specially made coin.  Whatever reason it was made is up to speculation.

I feel that if it was a trick coin, it would not be that color because it would stand out from regular Cents.  Why coat a Cent in conductive material is the real question.

I'm curious myself, but can offer no conclusion.  Wish I could.

Pete

14 hours ago, Conder101 said:

On the obv rim from 8:00 to 11:30 it looks like the copper is coming through.  I predict attraction will be slight and the coin is nickel plated.  (Nickel is highly magnetic, but the small amount in the plating means there just isn't enough material for the magnet to get a strong attraction.)

It gets a very strong attraction. I will get a video of it sticking to a magnet in a couple hours. Thank You for helping me.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Pete said:

If the experts who viewed your coin in this post cannot conclusively say it was mint made, then it has to be a post-mint specially made coin.  Whatever reason it was made is up to speculation.

I feel that if it was a trick coin, it would not be that color because it would stand out from regular Cents.  Why coat a Cent in conductive material is the real question.

I'm curious myself, but can offer no conclusion.  Wish I could.

Pete

thank you, I am going to post a video (or a link to a youtube if I can't post videos on here) of it sticking to the magnet. 

It was my husbands mothers, and I have had it for well over a decade now.. I have researched it, but, just can't figure it lol. I wish it was one of those alum pennies (don't we all wish we had one of those) I think from the comments it seems like the bronze clad steel penny. It is likely his mother had it for many years before she passed, she had it hidden away in a container where no one could find it (but we did) =) 

The obvious course is to send it to NGC for examination. Before that, however, look for another 1974 cent. when you find one. Weigh each separately, then put them on a flat surface where you can see the edge. Use a magnifier to determine: 1) are they identical in thickness; 2) does the edge look identical on each or is your "steel 1974" slightly rounded, and; 3) are the rims identical or is your "steel 1974" slightly rounded?

You piece should look identical in all respects except color to the normal 1974. If there is rounding, it is likely the coin was used in costume jewelry and the rim/edge is actually a thin steel bezel. A steel bezel allowed quick spot tacking to other parts of the jewelry which the ordinary bronze/brass cent alloy would not.  A normal 1974 cent will weigh 3.11 grams (or 48 grains Troy).

I have a 1974 penny similar to the one described.  The one on the left in pic with 2 pennies.  It appears to have a finish on it that has chipped in places when looked at in a loop.  Has anyone figured out these coins yet?

Gold in color
Lightly magnetic mostly around the edge
weight: 3.118 grams

image1 (1).jpeg

image1 (2).jpeg

image1.jpeg