• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I try to cross this 1915 proof buffalo nickel?

13 posts in this topic

I sent the following coin ATS (raw) for grading and just found out yesterday that the coin grades PR64.  IMO the coin is a solid 65 and maybe even a 66?  I  try to crawl inside the graders heads to see what they are seeing that consigns this coin to sub-gem status and cannot figure it out.

The difference in price between a PR64 and a PR65 is only about $400 ($1400 vs. $1850 in pcgs price guide) or so, not a huge amount but I am still thinking its worth the effort to crack this out and send to NGC.    I like both services equally.  What would you do in this case!!_57_zpsssvp4vha-1.jpg.861ad5102574b9bbed4b2d1f21a827d6.jpg_572_zps0mdgmlym.jpg.3baf991ee58210e599a6c1c0e725a988.jpg

The graders are 'seeing' something that is holding this coin back from a higher grade than what it was assigned. Perhaps they are seeing some friction rub on the high spots of the devices, PR coins frequently obtain this from being stored in flips, 7070 slide albums, even in cabinets. You can try your luck though.

If there's any surface abrasion, it cannot be PR-64 and must be PR-58.

I have never had any dealings with Great Southern Coins, but from what I understand they have tendency to juice their pictures and make their offerings look better than they are. I think that we need a photo that you or someone else has taken to give you an educated opinion.

Yes, this picture makes that coin looks great, but is that really how it looks in person? It looks better in this picture than the 1913 Type 1 nickel I have in an NGC Matte Proof 66 holder. I don't know that we can say anthing about that piece given the evidence we have.

Easy to say for someone else to tell you what to do...........that said............Photo document it in its current slab, then try to cross it.

Yes........pic is juiced up.......light angles and exposure can hide stuff..........but you have the coin to look at.

Still your call (my humble opinion)

Pete

On 6/4/2017 at 0:28 PM, Buffalo_Pete said:

Easy to say for someone else to tell you what to do...........that said............Photo document it in its current slab, then try to cross it.

Yes........pic is juiced up.......light angles and exposure can hide stuff..........but you have the coin to look at.

Still your call (my humble opinion)

Pete

Why "Photo document it in its current slab..."? Once it's removed from the holder, all bets are off.

As far as trying to "cross it" - to try to avoid confusion, typically, trying to "cross" a coin signifies submitting it in one company's holder to another company, in order to try to get it into the latter's holder. Cracking a coin out of one company's holder and submitting it to another company amounts to getting the coin graded. I realize most readers are aware of that distinction, but suspect that not all are.

That's a great cherry pic- did PCGS take photo's of coin so we can compare to GSC pics?  Would be good education at the very least to compare the two photo's.  Might get a more confident opinion on crossing if photo's aren't juiced.  

3 hours ago, PocketArt said:

That's a great cherry pic- did PCGS take photo's of coin so we can compare to GSC pics?  Would be good education at the very least to compare the two photo's.  Might get a more confident opinion on crossing if photo's aren't juiced.  

No I did not request pics when I got the coin slabbed.  But the picture as supplied here by GSC is pretty darn accurate.