• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for registry participants (please remove if not appropriate for the forum)

A question for registry participants (please remove if not appropriate for the subforum)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. When do you add a coin to your registry set?

• When I pay for it.
    • When it ships.
    • When I have it in hand.
    • After the photos are done.
    • At the end of the year.
    • Eh, whenever I get around to it.

5 posts in this topic

I tend to add a coin whenever it gets shipped.  That way if it goes astray I have it in the set already so if anyone else tries to add it (assuming a lot of things...) it's a bit of 'insurance'.  That said, nothing like this has ever happened but that is the mildly twisted way my brain thinks.

• Administrator

Hello, Star City Homer.

Thank you for your interest. Please note, our software cannot recognize the coin as eligible/available until after it is marked as shipped, and sometimes a week or so longer, if it is a newly graded coin at NGC. We do ask that our customers wait until they have the coin in hand before they try to enter them into the NGC Collection Manager or Registry. This also helps avoid mistakes; sometimes a seller may advertise a coin for sale, on eBay, for example, and the photo and cert. number they post is not the actual coin they are shipping, but a similar one. Thank you.

Good point Ali.  If it might be a stock photo I do wait.  As for freshly graded ones, those always seem quick to be added--someone is being efficient with the database.

For my last couple ebay purchases, one is a modest coin but top/pop so unique.  The other is a scarce coin, only 4 in the grade, and the seller's pictures are clearly the same coin/cert# as a prior Heritage sale, but are his own shots.  I did add them already--I'm not known for being patient and wondered if anyone else is.

Clearly this is a fascinating and scintillating topic given the number of answers so far :D.  I didn't want to clutter the other parts of the forum as many folks probably don't bother with registry stuff or get tired of hearing about it.  On the other hand, traffic may be low.

Usually I wait until I can take and edit some photos and sometimes there's a delay between the taking and editing because I'm kinda picky about masking out the background.

I think that I'm losing patience in my older age.  lol  Once you pay for a coin it is yours, imho.  I like to wait, until it ships, though, but I get too excited.  However, I am very diligent regarding my set and, after I receive it, I verify the cert. number and image to make sure it is correct.  If not, I correct the entry immediately.  If a seller ever sent me a coin that was different from the image, it would very likely be sent back, unless on the off chance that it was as nice or better, which with my discriminating taste, would be very unlikely.  A freshly graded coin from NGC would be a different matter, as Ali has explained, and I'm very glad that she has brought that to everyone's attention, as I never knew that. :)