• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1897 Red Indian Head, Please help Grade

14 posts in this topic

You got a coin with AU details, but it has been cleaned and/or polished. 

You paid full retail for it. You didn't get a "deal," but you paid a fair price for it. 

How can you tell it was cleaned ?  There aren't the usual dirt spots around the devices, in the crevices or polish marks that I can see.

Just curious.  Thank you for commenting.

Just looked, AU runs from $25-$32 normally and I paid $15, so probably not too bad a deal for AU details.

Yeah, that's what I said - you paid a fair price for it. 

The cleaning is evident by the "shiny" spots. A circulated coin shouldn't have them. In your pictures above, notice how the open fields are shiny, but the areas around the lettering are a different color? That is an almost guaranteed sign that it has been cleaned or polished. 

9 hours ago, Mark T said:

The color is also a dead giveaway that the coin has been cleaned.

I would completely disagree with the color, I have certs that have the exact same color.  The following attachment, while not completely discernible from the pictures are virtually the same color.

s-l1600.jpg

Sorry lodge, that is not even close to the same color. The PCGS one has a nice bronzy reddish color with full luster - the cleaned one in your OP has a hazy pinkish stripped color. 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, lodge104 said:

How can you tell it was cleaned ?  There aren't the usual dirt spots around the devices, in the crevices or polish marks that I can see.

Just curious.  Thank you for commenting.

Just looked, AU runs from $25-$32 normally and I paid $15, so probably not too bad a deal for AU details.

When "red" copper has a pinkish tone to it, that is never a good sign. Quite often a copper coin has been stripped of its protect layer of toning, it turns that color.